Alarms play a key role in today’s busy world, where most people find it difficult to track their time. With so much to do within the 24-hour cycle, waking up in the morning can be tricky without the use of alarms. In the old days, people used old fashioned clocks, which have now been replaced with smartphones. You probably use your smartphone a lot to set alarms or reminders, since they are easily portable and you have them on you at all times.
However, since more people are now spending most of their time on computers, the easiest way to keep track of what you’re doing or need to do is to use the inbuilt Alarms & Clock app in Windows 10. In today’s Windows 10 tutorial, we’ll show you how to set alarms and stopwatches in Windows 10 to help you manage your time properly and get things done on time.
What are Windows 10 Alarms and Clock?
Alarms & Clock is a built-in time management application in Windows 10. Previously known as Alarms on Windows 8.1, the app comes integrated into Windows PCs and Windows mobile devices. In Windows 10, Microsoft added the “World Clock” feature for more functionality and to improve user experience.
Windows allows users to customize the Alarms & Clock app to suit their preferences, including using the system’s dark and light themes. The app comes with an array of features, such as timers, stopwatch, World Clock, and alarms. Let’s now get into the details of how to configure the Alarms & Clock app in Windows 10.
How to set alarm in Windows 10
- Click “Start” and type Alarms & Clock.
- Select the top result to launch the “Alarms & Clock” app.
- Click on the “Alarm” tab.
Important tip: If you see a warning that says “Notifications will only show when the PC is awake”, adjust your PC settings so that it doesn’t go to sleep. To do so, open Settings > System > Power & Sleep and change your computer’s sleep settings.
- You’ll see an alarm set by default. To edit the alarm, select it and scroll through the values listed in the hours and minutes columns. Remember to adjust the “AM” or “PM” options so that you don’t set the wrong time.
- Once you set the alarm, you can change the “Alarm name”, “Repeats”, “Sound”, and “Snooze time”.
- Once you’re finished, click on the “Save” icon located at the bottom of the window. This operation automatically enables the alarm, which means you can also disable it at any time.
- To add another alarm, click on the + (plus) button at the bottom of the window and repeat the steps as outlined above.
- Now, when the alarm goes off, you can decide to dismiss it or snooze for a minimum of five minutes to a maximum of one hour.
- To delete a set alarm, select it and click the “Delete” button at the bottom right corner of the “Alarms & Clock” window.
- Exit the “Alarms & Clock” window.
How to set a stopwatch in Windows 10
- Click “Start” and select “Alarms & Clock”, which should be listed among the top apps that appear on the “Start” menu.
- Go to the “Stopwatch” tab.
- The clock is set to 00:00:00:00 by default. To start the stopwatch, click on the “Play” button.
- While the clock is running, click on the “Flag” icon to record a lap or split time if you’re recording multiple subjects or items.
- To pause the clock, click on the “Play” button.
- If you want to share the time, click on the “Share” icon at the bottom right corner of the window and select the app to share the time.
- To reset the clock, click on the “Reset” button to the left of the watch.
- To view the clock in full, click the “Expand” icon to the right of the clock.
How to set a timer in Windows 10
A timer comes in handy when you want to measure a time interval. This is useful in the kitchen if cooking using a recipe. When the clock reaches the set period, you’ll get notified via a beeping sound or a notification. To use the Timer feature in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo on your keyboard or click the “Start” icon.
- Select “Alarms & Clock”, which should be listed at the top.
- Go to the “Timer” tab. You’ll see a default timer displaying 00:15:30, where 00 indicates the hours, 15 indicates minutes, and 30 indicates seconds respectively. You can view the timer in full view by clicking on the “Expand” option.
- To set your desired timer, click the + (plus) button at the bottom of the window.
- Assign the timer a name that you prefer.
- Edit the timer by scrolling through the values listed in the hours, minutes and seconds columns.
- After selecting the desired time, click the “Play” button at the bottom of the window. You can set as many timers as you wish and label them differently. If you don’t assign names to the timers you set, they’ll be labeled as “Timer (1)”, “Timer (2)”, and so on.
- When the timer finishes, you’ll receive a notification in the Windows system tray. For additional options, click the “…” icon at the bottom right corner of the “Alarms & Clock” window.
- To delete a timer, simply select the timer that you wish to delete and click on the “Delete” button at the bottom right corner of the window.
How to set the World Clock in Windows 10
The World Clock feature allows users to see how far behind or ahead other locations are from their local time. It’s especially useful for remote workers who want to compare what nonlocal times will be at a specified local time.
To set up the World Clock, follow these steps:
- Open the “Alarms and Clock” app via the “Start” menu.
- Switch to the “Clock” tab or “World Clock” tab if you’re using an older version of Windows 10.
- Your local time is shown by default. To add another clock, click the + button at the bottom right corner of the “Alarms & Clock” screen.
- Enter the name of the target location, and you’ll see options matching your selected location. Select the appropriate one from the list.
- To compare different time zones, click the “Compare” icon at the bottom right corner of the window.
Clean up and optimize your PC
Normally, using a computer for a prolonged time leads to slow performance and stability issues. This is usually caused by piles of junk files taking up disk space, corrupt or obsolete registry entries, unnecessary processes running in the background that use a lot of CPU resources, fragmented files, and hard drive errors, to name just a few.
To avoid such PC issues, we recommend regular PC maintenance using a powerful tool like Auslogics BoostSpeed. This is highly advanced optimization software that protects your system from crashes, freezes, and sluggishness. The tool tweaks services, processes, and programs running on your computer to improve user experience. Furthermore, the tool optimizes your internet speeds to ensure your browsing experience is fast and flawless.
In essence, Auslogics BoostSpeed comes with all the tools necessary to ensure that your PC is fully optimized.
In conclusion, the Windows “Alarms & Clock” app is a really useful feature, especially if you use your computer a lot. The tool makes it easy to manage your time and accomplish all your tasks accordingly.
We hope you find this guide useful. If you have additional info on how to configure alarms and stopwatches in Windows 10, feel free to comment below.