Most of you have probably come across the “Tips” app, which comes with Windows 10. The app is useful to new Windows users since it helps to familiarize them with the Windows environment so that they can get the most out of Windows 10. Moreover, the “Tips” app comes with embedded video tutorials that highlight how to use certain features for the pages you view. Luckily, the videos don’t autoplay and will only play when you click on them.
Nevertheless, you might find these tips annoying, and unless you’re a complete beginner, the “Tips” app serves no purpose. In this article, we’ll show you a step-by-step guide on how to remove Windows 10’s Settings app “Tips”.
How to remove “Tips” from the Settings app in Windows 10
There are various approaches that you can employ to remove the “Tips” app:
- Using the Settings app
- Via the Start menu
- Using a PowerShell command
- Using the Windows Registry
- Using the Group Policy Editor
Using the Settings app
- Open “Settings” via the Win+I shortcut.
- Go to Apps > Apps & features.
- Look for the “Tips” app on the list of apps installed on your computer and highlight it.
- Select the “Uninstall” button and then click “Uninstall” again to remove it from your PC.
Via the Start menu
- Click “Start” or press the “Windows Key”.
- Type “Tips” (without quotes).
- If you’re using the latest Windows version, once the “Tips” app appears, click on “Uninstall” on the right side of the window. On other versions, right-click “Tips” and select “Uninstall”.
Using a PowerShell command
While PowerShell is a command-line shell designed for developers, system administrators, and IT professionals, you can use it to remove the “Tips” app with ease.
Here are the steps to follow:
- The quickest way to open PowerShell is to click “Start” and type “PowerShell” (without quotes).
- Select “Run as administrator” on the right pane. Alternatively, right-click “PowerShell” from the list of results, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Execute the command:
- Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Getstarted | Remove-AppxPackage
The Remove App package command will successfully uninstall the “Tips” app from your computer.
Using the Windows Registry
Another option to remove the “Tips” app involves manually editing the Registry. As usual, we like advising our community to always be careful when editing the registry as one tiny mistake can lead to devastating consequences.
Simply follow the steps below keenly, and you’ll be done before you even know it:
- Click the “Search” box in the taskbar or press the Win+S shortcut and type “Regedit.exe” (without quotes).
- Press “Enter” to open the “Registry Editor” window.
- Now, navigate to this path:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (to quickly navigate to the target key, copy this path and paste it in the address bar and press “Enter”).
- Right-click on an empty spot on the right pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new value “AllowOnlineTips” (without the quotes).
- Next, double-click “AllowOnlineTips” and set “Value data:” to “0” (zero).
- Restart your PC. This operation disables the text and video tips within the “Settings” app.
To re-enable the tips, simply change “Value data:” from zero to one.
Using the Group Policy Editor
- Click “Start” and search for gpedit.msc. Alternatively, press Win + R and type gpedit.msc in the “Run” box and press “Enter”.
- Once in the “Local Group Policy Editor” window, follow the path Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel.
- On the right pane, find the “Allow Online Tips” policy and double-click it.
- Select “Disabled”, and then click “Apply”.
- Finally, click “OK” and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Tweak your PC to boost its performance
Even computers with the fastest and most powerful processors can be slowed down by clutter and fragmentation. You see, using a computer daily leaves useless files lying around, occupying space that could otherwise be used for more important things. On the same note, the registry keeps every task that is performed on the computer until it’s cleared out. The registry can only take so much, and when it starts to clog, you’ll notice that it takes the mouse seconds or even minutes to respond.
If this situation is left unchecked, you may have a difficult time using your computer. While you can manually optimize your PC, it’s way too much work, plus you won’t be able to address all the issues. You need Auslogics BoostSpeed, an effective and reliable optimization tool that’s designed to tweak your PC and fix problems that might be affecting the normal functioning of your system.
Apart from optimizing your hard drive by removing unneeded files like temporary internet files and other PC junk, Auslogics BoostSpeed also cleans the registry to improve your computer’s efficiency in handling your day-to-day activities. The tool also defragments your hard drive, enabling your system to access apps, games, and files faster. This optimization software has a lot to offer and has a user-friendly interface so that even computer novices can install and use it with ease.
So, if you want a stable, fast-responding operating system, Auslogics BoostSpeed is the answer.
There you have it! We hope you find the methods describing how to remove Windows 10’s Settings app “Tips” useful. Let us know what you think about the Tips app by commenting below.