Losing your laptop not only sets you back financially, but it also puts your personal or company files at risk. Despite your using sophisticated security measures such as face-recognition software or touch ID, all your passwords, data, documents, photos, and videos can easily be accessed when your hard disk is connected to another laptop.
You never know when your laptop will be stolen; that’s why you need to plan ahead of time to avoid finding yourself in this predicament. The following tips show you how to wipe all your data from a Windows 10 PC remotely and safeguard sensitive information.
How to Remote Wipe My Windows 10 PC
There are various remote wipe options for laptops that you can apply today to ensure the safety of your data.
1. Turn On the Find My Device Feature on Your Laptop
Currently, Microsoft allows users to locate a stolen or lost device remotely using the ‘Find my device’ feature. This feature enables you to locate your laptop’s GPS coordinates, making it easier to track the device.
To turn on the ‘Find my device’ feature on Windows 10:
- Press the Windows Key+I to open “Settings”. Alternatively, simply click “Start” and select “Settings”.
- Scroll down to Update & Security, and then go to “Find my device”.
- Click on the “Change” button.
- On the “Save my device’s location periodically” window that pops up, click to toggle the button to “On”.
If you lose your laptop or it’s stolen, follow these steps:
- Visit Microsoft’s official site and sign in to your Microsoft account using the same credentials that you use on your stolen or lost device.
- Your device will be listed here. Select “Find my device” to open a map showing your device’s location.
To secure your data, you need to turn on BitLocker.
- Press the Windows Key and type in manage bitlocker.
- Choose the first result, Manage BitLocker.
- Select “Turn on BitLocker” and follow the on-screen prompts.
This decrypts your data, and a person will require a recovery key to view it.
2. Erase Data Remotely Using Microsoft Intune
Microsoft Intune offers cloud-based mobile and PC management functionalities. Mobile devices and laptops store delicate company data that can’t risk being leaked, and Intune lets you separate your personal files from your company’s files.
Using Intune managed apps, you can selectively or fully wipe data from your devices, remotely lock your devices and reset passcodes.
This is done by issuing a wipe request, a remote lock request, or a reset passcode reset. Keep in mind that, after issuing the wipe request, all data will be wiped out completely the moment your laptop is turned on and the data is not recoverable.
First, you need to enlist your device in Intune using these steps:
- Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school > Connect.
- Input your work or school email address, and then click “Next”.
- Input your password to sign in to Intune. Wait for your device to complete registration and then select the “Close” button.
That’s it. Now your device is added to Microsoft Intune.
Next, use these steps to wipe data remotely:
- Visit the Microsoft Azure portal and sign in to the account you just created.
- Choose “All services” and then search for “Intune”.
- Click on “Microsoft Intune” and choose “Devices”.
- Choose the name of the device you intend to wipe remotely and select “Wipe”.
- Choose “Yes” to confirm your selection.
When your laptop is turned on, all data will be wiped within 15 minutes.
3. Secure Your PC using Auslogics BoostSpeed
Your device’s safety is of paramount importance, and you don’t want your personal or company’s privacy falling into the wrong hands. With the Auslogics BoostSpeed tool, you can erase your online activities and remove any traces of personal information, including passwords and credit card details.
The tool has the File Shredder feature that helps to eliminate files completely to prevent hackers and criminals from recovering them. This tool comes with built-in security buffers that protect your device from being accessed by an unauthorized person.
On top of that, the Auslogics BoostSpeed software offers PC optimization capabilities to ensure a stable operating system. It speeds up your internet connection, removes junk files from your computer and tweaks system settings for faster performance. You get all the benefits in one productive tool.
Your laptop can be stolen or lost anywhere when you’re least expecting it. With these tips on how to wipe all your data from a Windows PC remotely, you can relax knowing that you can prevent sensitive corporate information from leaking out.