The currently signed-in or active Microsoft account on a Windows 10 computer allows users to access essential features like the ability to synchronize settings, preferences, and files across multiple devices without them needing to set up additional configurations or processes. If you decide to use a different account, though, you will be forced to configure those functionalities for the applications and services through manual operations.
Moreover, if you use numerous services with different accounts or profiles, you can log in with them ahead of time. This way, your apps get to access the necessary details in significantly less time than usual.
In this guide, we intend to show you how to add and remove extra accounts on Windows 10, how to manage your accounts (especially in terms of the permissions afforded), and so on. The procedures here are directed at users who already have a Microsoft account signed into their devices (as the main profile). To this end, we have omitted the standard instructions on adding a new user account.
How to add emails and accounts using the Settings app on Windows 10
We believe you intend to add an account that can be used on Microsoft apps like Mail, Calendar, People, and so on. You can introduce the new profile through a fresh email account or by providing an extra Microsoft account for the applications. We will walk you through both methods, anyway, so you just have to determine which one of them suits you best.
How to add a new account for emails:
You must follow these instructions to add a new account for emails and applications:
- First, you have to open Settings. You can do this by bringing up the Windows Start menu (press the Windows logo button on your PC’s keyboard), and then clicking on Settings (or its icon). Your system will launch the Settings application window now.
- Click on Accounts (one of the options on the main menu list). On the left pane (on the next screen), click on Email and accounts.
- Under the Email and accounts menu or screen, you should see the Add an account button. Click on this button.
Windows will bring up a list from which you get to select your email service provider. If you intend to add a Gmail account, for example, you must click on Google.
- Now, you must type in your email account credentials, and then click on the Next button. Type in your password.
- Click on the Sign in button.
If you typed in the correct details for your email account, then your system will verify the information without issues, and Windows will move on to add the account.
- Click on the Done button.
Given the task you just completed, you will be able to use the new account to access your email, calendar, and similar services. If you added an email account from Microsoft, your system would let you use its credentials to sign in to other applications directly.
How to add extra Microsoft accounts for apps:
If you access specific applications frequently with a different Microsoft account (especially the one for services like OneDrive, Xbox Live, and so on), you can preload the necessary details now. This way, the applications involved will find it easier to fetch them. Go through these steps to carry out the operation in view:
- Open the Settings app. Use this keyboard shortcut to quickly launch it: Windows logo button + letter I key.
- Assuming the Settings application window is up on your screen, you must click on Accounts. On the next screen, you have to click on Email and accounts (one of the options on the left pane).
- You should see the Accounts used by other apps menu. Click on the Add a Microsoft account link under it.
- Input the information for the Microsoft account you intend to add into the text field provided, and then click on the Next button.
- Type in the password for your Microsoft account, and then click on the Sign in button.
- Click on the OK button, and then click on the Done button.
With the completion of this operation, Windows will immediately act to make the account available for apps to sign in automatically. If you want to add more accounts (that can be used by your applications), you have to repeat the same steps above.
How to manage the accounts used by your applications on Windows 10
By default, Windows is programmed to use the account information you provided to sign you into services or applications automatically. Evidently, this setup makes the sign-in process a breeze. However, if safety is higher on your priority list than comfort, you can make some changes to force applications to ask for permission first before Windows lets them use your credentials.
In that case, you must follow these instructions:
- First, you have to open Settings. Earlier, we provided instructions on opening this application, so we do not have to include the same steps here. Scroll up a bit to see them again.
- With the Settings program window up, you must click on Accounts, and then click on Email and accounts (on the left pane).
- Your system will list all the accounts that have been added to your computer. Now, you must click on the account whose settings you intend to manage to highlight or select it.
- Click on the drop-down menu under the account to see the options available. From the list, you must select Apps need to ask me to use this account, and you are done.
With this new setting in place, Windows will force applications to get the required permission from you before your system lets them access or use your account details for different purposes.
How to remove emails through Settings on Windows 10
The regular procedure (removing accounts using Settings):
If you ever decide to stop using an account (or if you do not want a specific profile to remain accessible to regular Microsoft applications), you can remove it quickly from your computer by going through the following steps:
- Open the Settings app. We expect you to be familiar with this step already.
- On the Settings application window, you have to click on Accounts. You will end up on the Accounts screen.
- From the list of options visible on the left pane, select Email and accounts.
- Select the account that you intend to get rid of (by clicking on it). Click on the Manage button that appears. Your system will bring up the Account settings window now.
- Click on the Delete account from this device option. You will still have to click on the Delete button and then the Done button to complete the removal operation.
Given the procedure you used to get rid of the unwanted account, Windows will act to stop applications (like Mail, Calendar, and People) from using it.
The additional procedure (removing accounts for apps using Settings):
Well, if you prefer to wipe off the Microsoft account information to prevent all applications from accessing or using it, you must delete its profile from the ‘Accounts used by other apps’ section. Here are the steps you need to go through:
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on Accounts (as you have done many times already), and then click on Emails and accounts (on the following screen).
- This time, on the right pane (for the Email and accounts menu), you must check for the account you intend to remove under the Accounts used by other apps section.
- Click on the account you want to delete. Your system will highlight it. Click on the Remove button.
A dialog box will come up to ask if you are going to proceed with the account removal operation.
- Click on the Yes button to confirm things. If you did everything correctly, then the unwanted account information will longer be available or accessible on your Windows 10 computer.
How to edit information for accounts
If you want to view the details for the accounts used on your system or edit the information associated with them, you have to do some tasks (online). On the web, you will get to find out the devices using the accounts, learn about your security and privacy settings, and so on.
Follow these instructions:
- Open the Settings program (as you did many times in the past).
- Once the Settings window comes up, you must click on the necessary menus or options until you get to the Accounts screen.
This time, you are going to work on the Your account menu (the first option on the list on the left pane). Meanwhile, on the right pane, you should see the credentials for the account in use.
- Under your account name and other information, you should see the Manage my Microsoft account link. Click on it.
- You will end up on a web page where you get to view all the details for the selected account. There, you can edit almost every parameter or setting associated with the account.
Here, we want to tell you about Auslogics BoostSpeed. If you are on the lookout for an application that can improve your PC’s overall state, then this program may deliver the result you need. You can install it and then use it to execute multiple effective performance-optimizing operations.