Most users want to find out where their files are stored when they want to delete them. It makes a lot of sense since some files are taking up a lot of space on your PC. If your hard drive is full, it can also make your computer run slower than usual. You can free some hard drive space by erasing temporary files or manually looking for the largest files stored on your computer and removing them also.
In this article, we will answer the following question: “How do I search for files by size in Windows 10?”.
How do I find the largest files on a Windows PC?
Method 1. Cortana
- Step 1. Type in the query into the Cortana’s search bar. You can also use a voice command.
- Step 2. You can refine your search with Cortana by clicking the My Stuff feature, then the search will only show files that you have personally put on your computer.
Method 2. File Explorer
You can use Cortana in order to find out what you need, but users report that File Explorer is still the best utility for that kind of search. Follow the instructions below:
- Step 1. Open File Explorer.
- Step 2. Select your C: drive or an alternative if you are storing your files elsewhere.
- Step 3. On the right side, click the Search box and open the Search tab.
- Step 4. Select All subfolders in the Search tab.
- Step 5. Click Size and select the largest size from the drop-down menu.
- Step 6. Open Type and scroll down to select the appropriate type for the file you are looking for. The search can be refined to look only for video files, for example.
- Step 7. With the search results, you can erase the files that you no longer need. Use the Delete command.
- Step 8. Once you’ve deleted the files in this folder, they automatically replant themselves into the Recycle bin. So, empty the bin to get rid of them for good.
Keep in mind that deleting EXE files will not free up space on your computer unless you do the uninstallation procedure first.
Method 3. Auslogics BoostSpeed
If you don’t have time to read through and apply the instructions provided above, you can always employ tools in order to help your computer’s efficiency. We advise getting Auslogics BoostSpeed that will significantly increase the working speed of your computer by eliminating junk and temporary files from your device. It’s no secret that sometimes our devices are overwhelmed by the number of trash files, that keep it from working at full speed. The special tool we are suggesting will put an end to this problem.
Hopefully, thanks to this article, you now know what to do if you have this question: How do I find the largest files on a Windows PC?