There are many settings in the Windows operating system that are aimed at novice users. And these settings are quite helpful, because they give more details and information about the user interface, with which you are interacting. These are the minor things that make Windows user-friendly and comfortable to use. For example, when you open the Windows Explorer and hover over any item on the list, you will notice a small pop-up box with more information about the item, such as the full name, size, type, creation date, etc. This information is known as the Infotip or Tooltip.
To an advanced Windows user, we are sure that this information may be of no use, and can be considered a nuisance. That is why we created this article to show you how to disable Infotip in Windows 10.
It is nothing complicated; you just have to make a few tweaks to your settings and the Windows registry.
We are going to show you two methods to disable the Infotip – by changing Folder Options and using the Windows Registry.
Method 1. Using the Folder Options
- Click on the Windows Explorer icon on the taskbar to open the File Explorer.
- Once it opens, click on File and select ‘Change folder and search options’.
- In the next window, navigate to the View tab and locate the Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items.
- Uncheck its box and click Apply and OK to save the changes you have made.
Method 2. Using the Registry Editor
Making changes to the registry can be risky unless you know what you are doing. This is because making a mistake while editing the registry can lead to irreversible damage to your operating system. We recommend that you follow the instructions strictly, and create a backup of the registry before you start making any changes.
- Click on the Start or Home button and input “registry” (no quotes) in the search box.
- Click Registry Editor from the list of results.
- Once the Registry Editor opens, right-click on Computer and select Export.
- In the next window, choose a safe location to save the file and click OK.
- Now, you can continue editing the registry without worrying because you have created a backup. This is to ensure that if you make a mistake, you will be able to recover the registry without any problems.
- Once you get back to the Registry Editor, navigate to the flowing location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced
- Now, move to the right pane of the Advanced key and look for ShowInfoTip. Right-click on it and select Modify.
- In the next box, change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK.
- Once this is done, exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Any of the 2 methods provided above can help you disable Tooltips on your computer. Now, you will be able to focus on your work without small boxes interfering.
Pro tip: Has your computer’s performance decreased over time?
We can tell you exactly why that is happening. This occurs because junk files pile up in your system as you use it. This takes up a considerable amount of space on your hard disk, making your computer slow. The junk files can also be potential hosts for viruses. Also, unnecessary apps and processes run in the background of your operating system without you noticing. These processes drain your system’s resources. To fix this problem, you need to download and install a tool like Auslogics BoostSpeed. This tool will delete all the junk files and disable the unnecessary background processes. Your computer will function again like when you first bought it.
We hope that this article has shown you how to turn off the Windows 10 infotip notifications. Share it with others who need this information.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding this topic.