We are going to show you how to create a system restore point in Windows 10. By default, the System Protection feature is turned off in Windows 10. So, you have to manually enable it so that you will be able to create restore points on your computer.
- Let ‘s go ahead and start by accessing the Control Panel. You can do this by clicking the Start or Home button and inputting Control Panel in the search box.
- Now, select Control Panel from the list of results. You can also access the Control Panel by right-clicking on the Start or Home button and selecting Control Panel from the pop-up menu.
- Once the Control Panel Windows is opened, go to System and Security > System. Some of you may have a different view instead of the Category view. You may have the Large icon or Small icon view. So, if that is the case, then just navigate down and select System. But if you have the Category view, select System and Security.
- Click System, and on the left-hand side of the window, click System protection. Again, by default, it is turned off.
- So, under the Protection setting option, you are going to see all the drives that are available on your computer.
- Here, the drive we are interested in is the System or C driver. This is the drive on which your operating system is installed.
- Click on the drive and select Configure.
- Now, in the next window, select Turn on System protection to enable it.
- In this window, you can also adjust the disk space usage of system restore. This is to determine the maximum amount of disk space that System protection will use. When the space becomes full, Windows will automatically delete old restore points to make space for the new ones. You should adjust this space depending on the size of your drive. Normally, it is advisable to adjust it to 5%. Once you are done, click Apply and OK to save the changes you have made.
Now that System protection is turned on, you need to create a system restore point. Click on Create on the System protection window. In the next window, input a description or name for the restore point. Once you are done, click Create.
You can also create a restore point from the desktop. Here is how to do it:
- Right-click on the desktop and select New from the drop-down menu, then select Shortcut.
- This will open the Create Shortcut window. Now, input the following command in the search box: exe /k “Wmic.exe /Namespace:\rootdefault Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint “%DATE%”, 100, 7″ and click Next. You can rename the shortcut to whatever you like.
This process is very important in that if you are constantly making changes to your computer or you are about to install or do something that you feel can cause potential harm to your PC, then you need a restore point. System restore allows your system to be reverted to this point. So, if you made changes to the system or if something got corrupted in your system, System restore going to allow you to revert to that specific point in time when you created the restore point. It’s going to revert all your system files, applications installed, and system settings to that point. You should create a restore point only when your system is free from any sort of viruses or errors. If it is not, then every time you restore your system to that point, you will encounter that virus or error. Note that restoring your system to some point will not affect your personal files or folders, so you should not be scared when performing a system restore. Now, close the dialog box when the restore point is created.
Back on the System protection window, you can access the restore point you just created by clicking the System restore button. Follow the wizard’s instructions, and you will get to the page where you see the restore point you created. Under the Type column, you will see the word Manual. This indicates that you are the one that created the restore point.
If you do not want to be creating restore points manually or you always forget to do it, you can set Windows to create these points automatically.
To do this, use the following steps:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input task scheduler in the search box. Now, select Task Scheduler from the list of results.
- This will open the Task Scheduler window. Now, you have to navigate to the System Restore folder at the left side of the window. (Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > System restore)
- At the right-side of the window, you will see the default system restore task.
- Right-click on the default task and select Properties. Now, go to the Triggers tab and click New.
- In the next window, you will be able to choose how often you want Windows to create a restore point. The more restore points you have, the lower your risk of running into problems which cannot be fixed by system restore is. You can program your Windows to create a restore point one time, daily, weekly, or monthly. There are other options which can be applied to the system restore, but that is completely up to you. Once you are done with everything, make sure you check the Enable box, then click OK.
System restore is a feature that lots of people do not use, but if you encounter issues with your computer, it can help a lot. It is one of the best ways to fix problems on your computer which you do not know the cause of. When you encounter that kind of problem, all you need to do is revert your system to a time when the error had not occurred.
If you encountered an issue with your computer but you had not created a restore point, do not be scared because Windows sometimes automatically creates restore points when important changes want to occur in your system. Note that this cannot occur if you have not enabled System protection.
Pro tip: Viruses are on the list of problems of every Window user
That is why we are going to give you a solution to get rid of them. Viruses affect your computer in many different ways and can cause various effects from slowing down your PC to crashing it. They usually infect your computer from the internet or spam emails. Hackers use viruses to steal sensitive information from your computer. That is why it is very important to eliminate them as fast as possible. To fix this problem, you need to download and install Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool will eliminate all the viruses in your system. You will also be able to browse the internet free from viruses. Using this tool, you can schedule regular scans of your computer. This is to make sure that no viruses are lurking around.
We hope that his article has shown you how to create a Windows 10 restore point. Share it with others who are experiencing such issues.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding the above topic.