You may encounter the ‘Xinput1_3.dll is missing’ error message when you try to launch a program or game that requires DirectX to function. Nowadays, most programs need DirectX to work correctly, especially video games that cause high GPU usage. We are sure you are reading this article because you have come across this error and it is preventing you from playing your game or using some program.
In this article, we are going to show you how to fix the xinput1_3.dll is missing error. But before that, let us explain to you what this error is about and where it comes from.
What is XINPUT1_3.dll?
XINPUT1_3.dll is a DLL file (Dynamic Link Library) that is a part of DirectX. It helps to manage signals from the XBOX game controller. Note that you can encounter this error in most Windows operating systems starting from Windows 98 upwards. Now, let’s begin with the solutions to this problem.
Pro Tip: It is possible to fix many PC issues by using the PC Repair tool. PC Repair is easy to use and reliable Windows optimization software developed to fix hundreds of system issues.
Important note: We are sure you tried to find the file on the internet and found many sites offering you the XINPUT1_3.dll file as a free download. You should be very wary of such sites because 98% of the time, they are offering you a virus to download. These are the type of tricks hackers use to gain access to your computer and steal sensitive information. If you have already downloaded the file in view from the internet, we suggest that you delete it before it can cause further damage to your system.
Table of Contents
- Restart your computer
- Make sure that your DirectX is up to date
- Install the DirectX version of the program or game that causes the error to show up
- Update your Windows operating system
- Reinstall the program or game that causes the error message to show up
- Restore the XINPUT1_3.dll file
- Get the XINPUT1_3.dll file from a nearby computer
- Perform a system restore
- Make sure that your device drivers are up to date
Solution 1. Restart your computer
This should be the first procedure when you get any error in your operating system. Sometimes, your computer will automatically restart when the error is severe, but in this case, it won’t. So, you need to restart your computer manually. Restarting your PC will reset many processes that could be causing the error. Many users neglect to do this, but they fail to understand that sometimes, the simplest solutions are the best ones. We have received feedback from many users that restarting their system fixed the problem for them. That is why we suggest you do the same.
Solution 2. Make sure that your DirectX is up to date
As we have mentioned above, the XINPUT1_3.dll file is a component of DirectX. So, updating your DirectX version will replace the missing or corrupted XINPUT1_3.dll file. Here is how to update your DirectX:
- You need to search for DirectX in Google and follow the first link to the Microsoft official webpage.
- There, you need to select your preferred language and click the Download button.
- In the next page, Microsoft will recommend some tool to download. It is up to you to accept or reject it.
- Once you download the file, go to your download folder and run it. This will open the Microsoft DirectX installer.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once this is done, launch the program or game and check if the error has been resolved.
Solution 3. Install the DirectX version of the program or game that causes the error to show up
Almost all games and programs come with a copy of the DirectX version that works best with them. So, it is important to have that version of DirectX installed on your computer. You may be encountering the xinput1_3.dll error because the DirectX version in your system is not compatible with your game or program. To fix this error, you need to navigate to your game’s directory and look for the DirectX setup file. Once the required version of DirectX is installed, you are good to go. You can run your game and check if the error is resolved.
Solution 4. Update your Windows operating system
Updating your operating system can also help eliminate the xinput1_3.dll error. This is because Windows updates come with bug fixes, driver and software updates, and new system features. Here is how to manually check for system updates:
- Click on the Home button and select the gear icon to open the Settings app.
- Select Update and Security from the list of available options.
- In the next window, go to the Windows update tab and select Check for updates.
- Windows will now look for the latest updates for your system and install them.
- Now, run your game or program to make sure that the error has been resolved.
Solution 5. Reinstall the program or game that causes the error message to show up
Reinstalling the game or program that causes the xinput1_3.dll error to pop up can also solve this problem. This will replace all the corrupted files with fresh ones. Here is how to reinstall your program:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input “control panel” (no quotes) into the search box and press Enter. This will open the Control Panel window.
- There, select Programs and Features from the list of options provided.
- In the next window, you will notice the list of programs installed on your computer.
- Select the one that is associated with the xinput1_3.dll error and click Uninstall.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once this is done, you need to go to Windows Explorer and delete the remnant files of the program to remove it from your system completely.
- Now, restart your computer and reinstall the program again.
- Run it to make sure that the error has been resolved.
Solution 6. Restore the XINPUT1_3.dll file
Sometimes, you may delete the XINPUT1_3.dll file without noticing. So, in this case, you will have to restore it to the original location. When you delete a file on your PC, it goes to the Recycle Bin. That is why you need to go there and check for the file. To do so, use the following steps:
- Double-click on the Recycle Bin on the desktop to open it.
- Once in the Recycle Bin, search for the file; if you find it, right-click on it and select Restore.
- Now, restart your computer and try to run the program again.
Solution 7. Get the XINPUT1_3.dll file from a nearby computer
This error can be easily fixed by getting the file from a nearby computer. Note that you need to make sure the other computer and yours have the same architecture – otherwise, the solution won’t work. So, if your computer has a 64-bit operating system, make sure the other computer is running a 64-bit operating system as well.
- On the other computer, press the Windows logo key + E to open File Explorer, then navigate to C:\Windows\System32. There, you should find the XInput1_3.dll file.
- Now, copy it to the same location on your PC.
- Once this is done, restart your computer and check if the error is resolved.
Solution 8. Perform a system restore
Performing a system restore can also help to fix the XInput1_3.dll error. This process will revert your system files and settings to a time when the error had not occurred. Note that system restore will not make any changes to your personal files and folders. Restore points are required to perform a system restore. If you have not created them, do not panic because Windows automatically creates restore points when significant changes want to occur in your system. Use the following steps to create a restore point:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input “recovery” (no quotes) into the search box, and press Enter. This will open the Recovery window in Control Panel.
- Select Open System Restore and click Next to proceed.
- In the next window, select a timestamp that is before you began experiencing the XInput1_3.dll error.
- Now, click Next and follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 9. Make sure that your device drivers are up to date
Missing, corrupt, or outdated drivers can also be the reason why you are experiencing the XInput1_3.dll error. That is why we are going to show you how to update all your drivers without much effort:
Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
This tool will scan your computer for missing, corrupt, or outdated drivers and install their latest manufacturer-recommended versions. It is very fast and reliable, and a computer beginner can use it without any difficulty. You will be able to install all your drivers with just one click.
We hope that this article has shown you how to restore the xinput1_3.dll file. Share it with others who encounter the same error.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding this topic.