Think of a firewall as a standard security measure that’s absolutely necessary for your computer. However, there are occasions where you have to tell Windows Firewall to allow an application or server to communicate with the network. Today, we discuss how to open a port on Windows 10.
But, before we dig deep into the details, what is Windows Firewall?
A firewall is a feature that protects your device from outside threats trying to access your data, as well as inside threats trying to get out. To do this, the firewall blocks network-enabled ports.
Every time a program or an application tries to communicate with your device via a port, the firewall checks the program’s database to determine whether or not it has the necessary access. Windows Firewall blocks all unsolicited incoming communications on your network unless you open a port on Windows Firewall.
That explains why sometimes you get a prompt asking if a particular app has permission to access the internet.
How to open a port on Windows 10?
Although opening a port poses a security threat, sometimes it’s the only way to enable a specific program. When two devices connect on a network, the receiving device is assigned a specific port number that tells it which program handles that traffic.
Most people feel overwhelmed when thinking about how to open ports in Windows Firewall. Actually, it’s not as difficult as it sounds. These steps will guide you.
- Click the Start Menu, then type Windows Firewall, and press Enter. Alternatively, go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall
- Select Advanced settings in the left pane
- This brings up Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
- Right-click the Inbound Rules option, and click New Rule
- On the “Rule Type” window, select the Port option, and then click Next
- The Protocol and Ports screen that opens next allows you to choose whether the rule applies to Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or User Datagram Protocol (UDP). Depending on the app, select either TCP or UDP. (In most cases, the option is TCP).
Note: Protocol and ports vary from one app to another, and to identify the type you need to open, you must check your app’s support documentation. You can also check if you need to disable the firewall temporarily before opening a port. Port numbers range from 0-65535.
- Select the “Specific local ports” option, and type the port number. If you need to open multiple ports, then separate each port number using a comma (4000,4500,5000). Likewise, if you need to specify a port range, use a hyphen (4000-4300).
- Click Next when you’re finished
- On the “Action” window, select Allow the connection option and click Next. For added security, select the “Allow the connection if it is secure” option. However, this option is not supported by many apps. This is the same process if you want to block a connection, as you can see the option to “Block the connection.”
- Click Next, and select the type of network the new rule should apply to. Usually, it’s safer to leave this part with the default selections.
- In the next window, give your new rule a relevant name and, if you want, provide a detailed description of the specified rule.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
These steps allow inbound connections for your program or app through the open port in the firewall.
How to close a port on Windows Firewall?
If the rule you created no longer serves its purpose, you can disable it using the following steps.
- Open Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security by repeating steps 1 and 2 above.
- Locate the rule in either Inbound Rules or Outbound Rules.
- Right-click it, and select Disable Rule.
- To completely remove the rule, select Delete.
Windows Firewall analyses incoming and outgoing traffic to determine if they are threats. Occasionally, malicious items can gain access to your system and cause data leaks without your knowledge.
For this reason, you need to install the Auslogics Anti-Malware software. Apart from detecting suspicious files, it also catches unsuspected malicious programs and quarantines the files, awaiting your actions. The software thoroughly scans your system to ensure your programs are safe.
To open a port on Windows 10, you need to understand the security risks involved. But, with Auslogics Anti-Malware, you can relax knowing that your PC is fully protected.