What is the Volsnap.sys Windows process?
It is an SYS file which is connected to MSDN Disc 2085 created by Microsoft for the Windows operating system.
In general, SYS files are system files which are vital for the smooth running of the operating system. Most of these files mediate the communication between system devices or other devices which are attached to your PC and the operating system.
What are the causes of SYS file errors?
Missing or corrupt drivers and faulty hardware are some of the main reasons why most of the SYS file errors occur. Sometimes, these errors go unnoticed, but because the Volsnap.sys file is vital for the functions of MSDN Disc 2085 and other Windows functions, the Volsnap.sys error leads to the Blue Screen of Death. This is an indication of the importance of this file to the system.
Blue screen of Death errors are among the most common errors encountered by Windows users. They happen all of a sudden, forcing your computer to restart. This is problematic because you will lose any information which has not been saved yet A minidump file is created in your system when it encounters a Blue Screen of Death. This file contains all the information about the error. It is useful because this information can be sent to Microsoft and can give you knowledge about the problem you are dealing with. Sometimes, the BSOD restarts your PC, and you
do not have enough time to see the information written on it. The minidump file will be your next source of that information.
- If you want to prevent your PC from restarting after a Blue Screen of Death, use the following steps:
- Click on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar. Now, right-click on This PC and select Properties.
- Click on Advanced system settings to open the System Properties window.
- Click Settings under the Start and Recovery option. Now, uncheck the Automatically restart box.
- If you encounter the Blue Screen of Death again, your system won’t restart automatically.
Also, you need to open the Event Viewer if you want to view the minidump file. Here is how to do it:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Event Viewer in the search box. Now, select Event Viewer from the list of available results. This will open the Event Viewer dialog box.
- Expand the Windows logs folder and select System.
- Look for Error in the right panel and select it. At the bottom, you will see the error report
The Volsnap.sys error mostly occurs when you are trying to install new hardware or software. You may encounter the error during the installation of Volsnap-related software or during Windows startup.
Here are some of the causes of the Volsnap.sys BSOD error:
- Poorly configured, missing or corrupt device drivers.
- Windows registry errors which have corrupted Vlsnap-related entries.
- Malware or viruses that have corrupted Volsnap-related software.
- This error can also occur due to Memory (RAM) and hard disk corruption.
In this article, we are going to show you how to fix Blue Screen Volsnap.sys errors on Windows. Make sure you go through all the solutions until you find the one that works for you.
Table of Contents
- Make sure that newly installed hardware or software functions properly
- Run the Blue Screen of Death troubleshooter
- Restore your PC to a previous date
- Scan your PC for viruses
- Check your Memory
- Install the latest updates for Windows
- Update your device drivers
- Check your hard drive for errors
- Perform a clean boot of your system
Solution 1. Make sure that newly installed hardware or software functions properly
Incompatible hardware and software can cause the Volsnap.sys Blue Screen of Death. You need to disconnect any new hardware which is attached to your system. Especially if you started experiencing the problem when you installed the hardware. You can also check that the device is well connected to your PC.
You need to do the same for newly installed software. With this, the only option is to uninstall the software. To do this, use the following steps:
- Click on the Start or Home button and type Control Panel in the search box. Select Control Panel from the list of available options.
- In the Control Panel window, select Uninstall a program.
- Now, you will see a list of programs installed on your system.
- Select the newly installed program and uninstall it.
- Now, check if the Volsnap error has been resolved.
Solution 2. Run the Blue Screen of Death troubleshooter.
The troubleshooter is a built-in tool used to solve common issues encountered within the Windows operating system. It saves you the trouble of taking your computer to a technician often. Use the following steps to run the Blue Screen of Death troubleshooter:
- Press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security from the list of options available.
- Select the Troubleshoot tab, and click Blue Screen. Now, select Run the troubleshooter.
- Windows will find and try to fix the problem.
Solution 3. Restore your PC to a previous date
System Restore is a shortcut to fix many issues on your PC. It helps to solve problems whose cause is unknown. It reverts system changes that have occurred. This tool works like a time machine. It replicates the settings of your computer from a previous date. This process does not affect your personal files and folders. It makes changes only to the system files and settings. To perform a system restore, you need to have created restore points. If you have not created them, you should not be worried because Windows automatically creates restore points when important changes want to occur in your system. Perform a system restore, using the following steps:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Recovery in the search box. Select Recovery from the list of results.
- In the Recovery dialog box, select Open System Restore, then click Next to proceed.
- Now, you will see the list of the points you can restore your system to. Select a point before you began experiencing the Volsnap Blue Screen of Death error and click Next.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
When the Blue Screen of Death occurs, there is a high chance that your computer will have issues with startup. Your computer may fail to boot into Windows. To fix this problem, you need to perform a system restore from the Choose an option screen. Once your PC has failed to start up more than two times, it will boot into the Startup repair screen. From there, go to the Choose an option screen. Furthermore, navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. When the system restore window opens, follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 4. Scan your PC for viruses
Viruses can affect your system in many different ways. One of the consequences of the presence of malware in your system is the Volsnap.sys Blue Screen of Death. The malware affects vital system files, which causes your computer to stop functioning properly. To fix this problem, you need to download and install Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool will protect your system from virus attacks. Your system will be free from viruses because it is of scheduled regular scans. Browsing the internet will be a pleasant experience because you will not have to worry about hackers or viruses.
Solution 5. Check your Memory
The Volsnap.sys error can also be induced by problems with your Memory (RAM). You can use the Memory Diagnostic Tool to make sure that your memory is not corrupted:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Memory in the search box. Select Windows Memory Diagnostics from the list of results to open the Windows Memory Diagnostic dialog box.
- Click Restart now and check for problems. This will make Windows restart and begin checking for problems in your Memory. Once it is done, check if the issue has been resolved.
- You should change your RAM if this tool finds problems with it.
Solution 6. Install the latest updates for Windows
Microsoft releases Windows updates from time to time to improve on system settings and also to fix minor issues often encountered by users. Normally, these updates should be downloaded and installed automatically, but they may be delayed due to various reasons. So, it is up to you to force the download and installation to occur. To do this, use the following steps:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Settings. This will open the Settings app.
- Click on Updates and Security from the list of options available.
- In the next window, navigate to the Windows update tab and click Check for updates.
- Windows will now download and install the latest updates for your system. Hopefully, itwill solve the Blue Screen of Death issue.
Solution 7. Update your device drivers
Missing, outdated, or corrupted drivers are one of the main reasons why you are witnessing the Volsnap.sys Blue Screen of Death. If a driver is missing, the communication between its device and the operating system is breached. This means that the device will not function normally, leading to the Volsnap.sys error. We suggest that you get familiar with these steps because they are something you will use often.
Method 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
This tool is the best and easiest way to download all the drivers for your system. You can do it in just one click. This tool checks your computer for the drivers which are missing or outdated and installs the latest versions. You do not need to know any prior information about the driver you are downloading; the tool will do everything for you.
Method 2. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s site.
First, you need to know the driver which is the culprit. Also, you need to know the exact name and version of the device whose driver you will be installing. If not, then there is a possibility that you may download the wrong driver. This may lead to unwanted issues with your computer.
The drivers are located in the support section of the site. There, you will be able to select your operating system and architecture. Once the driver is downloaded, you have to go to the download folder and run it.
Manufacturers have noticed that this process is stressful for users and have decided to create clients which aid users. The clients will automatically notify you if any driver needs to be updated. They will also direct you from where to download the driver.
Method 3. Download and update the driver, using Device Manager
You can download and install any of your drivers, using the Device Manager. This is a built-in tool which is used to manage all the devices which are connected to your computer. Here is how to install your drivers:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager.
- Navigate to the device whose driver you want to update and right-click on it. Select Update driver from the pop-up menu.
- In the next window, select the option to download and install the driver from the internet.
- Windows will now download the latest driver for your device.
Solution 8. Check your hard drive for errors
Hard drive errors can also lead to Volsnap.sys Blue Screen of Death. So, you have to check for errors in your hard disk. The following steps will detect errors in your driver and try to fix them:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the pop-up menu.
- Now, input chkdsk /f /r C: in the Command prompt dialogue box. Chkdsk is the short for “check disk, C: is the letter of the drive you want to check. /f means“ fix disk errors“, and /r stands for “recover information from bad sectors“.
- Once the process is done, restart your PC and check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 9. Perform a clean boot of your system
Performing a clean boot of your system disables apps and services which are not vital for the system to function. Your system starts up with the minimum resources needed to function normally. This method is used to pinpoint the exact cause of the Volsnap.sys error. Here is how to perform a clean boot:
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig in the search area and click OK to open the System Configuration window.
- Go to the General tab, and click Selective startup.
- Uncheck the Load startup items box.
- Navigate to the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, then click Disable all.
- Now, navigate to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager. This will open the Startup tab in Task Manager, where you will see a list of startup apps and services; disable all of them.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK.
- Restart your computer and check if the Volsnap.sys error has been resolved. If yes, then it is sure that one of the services is the culprit. Go back to System Configuration and enable the apps one by one until you find the culprit. You can now delete the app permanently.
We hope that this article has fixed the BSOD 0x0000007e volsnap.sys error. Share it with others who experience similar issues.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding the above topic.