PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds commonly called PUBG is one of the most popular online multiplayer battle royale games of our generation. It has millions of players all over the world and keeps them entertained for hours. If you are reading this article, it means you are a PUBG player, and you have encountered a very common error that many other players have been facing. “Cannot find ‘dxgi.dll’. Please, reinstall this application” is surely a familiar phrase to you. You must have encountered this error when trying to run PUBG. You do not have to panic or worry about it because you are in the right place. In this article, we are going to show you how to fix the Cannot find the dxgi.dll error. You will have a big smile on your face once you are done with the solutions we have provided here. Make sure you go through all the fixes until you find the one that works for you.
You encounter the Dxgi.dll error because the file got corrupt or some other situation led to its removal from the PUBG directory. This could also mean that your computer has been infected by a virus, or you are having some registry, or hardware issues.
The dxgi.dll error message can come in several different forms:
- dll Not Found
- The file dxgi.dll is missing
- This application failed to start because dxgi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem
- Cannot find [PATH]\dxgi.dll
- Cannot start [APPLICATION]. A required component is missing: dxgi.dll. Please install [APPLICATION] again
If you see any of these messages, you can use the solutions provided in this article.
Table of Contents
- Restore the dxgi.dll file from the Recycle Bin
- Check your computer for viruses
- Run the sfc/scannow command in Command Prompt
- Restore your computer to a previous date
- Try reinstalling PUBG
- Copy the dxgi.dll file from another program’s directory
- Update your device drivers
- Update your Windows operating system
- Install DirectX End-User Runtime
- Delete or rename the dxgi.dll file
Solution 1. Restore the dxgi.dll file from the Recycle Bin
More often than not, users delete files without knowing. You might have accidentally deleted the dxgi.dll file when trying to run PUBG from its directory. Luckily, when you delete a file, it is moved to the Recycle Bin and can be restored afterward. So, in this case, you will need to open the Recycle Bin, look for the file, right-click on it, and select Restore. This will send the file back to the location from where it was deleted. This is a very easy way to get back your dxgi.dll file.
Solution 2. Check your computer for viruses
Viruses are a problem everywhere they go. In your case, they might have infected the dxgi.dll file, making it lose its functions, and that is why you see the error message. You may have contacted the virus when you were browsing the internet or when you opened a spam e-mail. There is a possibility that the virus has disguised itself as the dxgi.dll file and is faking its functions. Either way, you will need to remove the virus from your system. To do this, you will need a trusted anti-virus. That is why we recommend that you download and install Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool will scan your computer for malware and eliminate it. You can choose the type of scan you want and also schedule regular scans of your system to keep it virus-free.
Solution 3. Run the sfc/scannow command in Command Prompt
This is a built-in tool that will scan your computer for missing system files and try to replace them. Luckily, the dxgi.dll file is automatically provided in some versions of Windows, so we can consider it as a system file. In this case, we have to run the System File Checker and see if the error will be fixed. Here is how to run the System File Checker:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Command Prompt (Admin) to run it as an administrator.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, input sfc/scannow and press Enter. This may take some time to complete, so be patient.
- When the scan is complete, exit the Command Prompt and try to run PUBG again to check if the error has been fixed.
Solution 4. Restore your computer to a previous date
The system restore is a powerful tool in the Windows operating system. It can revert the changes made to your computer. It is like a time machine. It can be used when you think that the dxgi.dll error was caused by a change in your system configuration. This tool is good at solving issues of unknown origin. Note that it will only affect system files and settings, while your personal files and folders will be left untouched. To perform a system restore, you need to have created restore points. Don’t be too bothered if you did not create them because Windows automatically creates restore points when important changes want to take place on your computer. Here is how to perform a system restore:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input recovery in the search box. Now, select Recovery from the list of results. This will open the Recovery window in Control Panel.
- Click Open System Restore, and then click Next in the subsequent window to proceed.
- Now, you will see a list of timestamps you can restore your computer to. Select the one created just before you started experiencing the dxgi.dll error and click Next.
- Follow instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 5. Try reinstalling PUBG
This is another solution you can use to solve the dxgi.dll error, which occurs when you are trying to run PUBG. Normally, the reinstallation will reinstall all the files that are necessary for the game to run, including dxgi.dll. Make sure you back up all your game saves before uninstalling PUBG.
Solution 6. Copy the dxgi.dll file from another program’s directory
This is another easy way to replace the dxgi.dll file. You can find another game or program that has a functional version of the file and copy it to your PUBG’s directory: C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > PUBG > TsIGame > Binaries > Win64. You should search your computer for the file.
Solution 7. Update your device drivers
Missing, corrupt, or outdated graphics drivers can also cause you to start experiencing the dxgi.dll error. The only way to fix this is to update your drivers. We are going to show you the best methods to do it:
Method 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
This is one of the easiet ways to get your new drivers. Even an amateur can use this tool without any problems. You do not need to know extra info about the devices you would like to update drivers for. The tool is very fast and can update all your drivers to the manufacturer-recommended versions in just one click.
Method 2. Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s site
It is also advisable to get your graphics drivers from the manufacturer’s site. They are usually found in the support section of the site. Here you will find the most recent drivers for your device. You need to make sure that your download the correct driver, depending on the architecture and type of your operating system. Manufacturers have made this process easy by providing clients that when installed on your system, can detect outdated drivers and direct you to their updated versions.
Method 3. Update the driver, using Device Manager
The Device Manager is a tool that manages all the devices attached to your computer. From there, you will be able to update any of your device drivers. Here is how to do it:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager.
- Click on the arrow next to Display adapters to expand it. Now, you will see the graphics device installed on your computer.
- Right-click on it and select Update driver.
- In the next window, select the first option. Windows will now scan the internet for the best available driver for that device.
Solution 8. Update your Windows operating system
Updating your Windows operating system can fix many errors because Windows updates contain missing files, drivers, and new features. Here is how to update your operating system:
- Click on the Start or Home button and select the gear icon to open the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security from the list of available options.
- In the Windows update tab, click Check for updates.
- Windows will now find and download all the available updates for your system.
Solution 9: Install DirectX End-User Runtime
To fix the dxgi.dll error in PUBG, you can also install DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer Package because it contains the dxgi.dll file. All you need to do is search for it on Google and download the setup to your computer. Once the download completes, run the setup file and complete the installation. You should then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Solution 10. Delete or rename the dxgi.dll file
When playing PUBG, the Reshade effect is brought about by the dxgi.dll file. So, to fix the dxgi.dll error, you will need to rename the file or delete it from your game’s directory. Here is how to do it:
- Navigate to C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > PUBG > TsIGame > Binaries > Win64.
- In this folder, look for the dxgi.dll file and delete it. Also, you can decide to rename the file to d3d11.dll.
- Now, restart your computer and check if the error has been solved.
We hope that this article has shown you how to fix dxgi.dll file problems. Share it with others who encounter such errors.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all of your questions regarding this topic.