In this article, we are going to show you how to fix Counter-Strike update errors on Windows 10. Make sure you go through all the solutions provided until you find the one that works for you.
Table of Contents
- Choose a different download region
- Clear the download cache of Steam
- Run Steam as an administrator
- Turn off the Windows Defender Firewall
- Temporarily disable your antivirus
- Perform a clean boot of your computer
- Delete the appcache folder
Solution 1. Choose a different download region
We have received confirmation from many users that changing your download region in Steam can solve Steam update errors.
Here is how to do it:
- Run Steam from the desktop.
- Right-click on the Steam system tray icon and select Settings.
- Now, go to the left pane of the Settings window and click Download.
- There, choose a different region from the list provided.
- Once this is done, click OK to save the changes you have made.
- Now, restart Steam and try to run your game again.
Solution 2. Clear the download cache of Steam
You can also fix issues like when your game doesn’t start or fails to get updates on Steam by clearing the download cache. So, we can use this solution to fix the “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error.
So, use the following steps:
- Run Steam and click on Settings on the left side of the window.
- Go to the Downloads tab and click the Clear Download Cache button.
- Now, click OK to confirm the changes you have made.
- Get into Steam again and check if the error has been solved.
Solution 3. Run Steam as an administrator
Your games may not be running or you may be encountering the “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error because you do not have enough permissions to run Steam. So, in this case, you need to run Steam as an administrator and see if it helps. Here is how to do it:
- Right-click on the Steam icon on the desktop and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check the Run this program as administrator box.
- Once this is done, click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Solution 4. Turn off the Windows Defender Firewall
We have also received some reports from other players that turning off the Firewall can fix the “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error. So, we suggest that you try it too. Use the following steps to turn off the Windows Defender Firewall:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input “firewall” (no quotes) into the search box and select Windows Defender Firewall from the list of results.
- In the next window, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left pane.
- Now, select Turn off Windows Firewall for both Private and Public network settings.
- Once this is done, Click OK.
Solution 5. Temporarily disable your antivirus
Third-party software especially antiviruses, “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error. So, you can disable your antivirus and check if this solves the issues. If it does, then we recommend that you change your antivirus. You can download and install Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool will not interfere with your games or the Steam client. It will also protect your system from any malware invasion. It will scan your computer for any viruses and eliminate them. One of the good features of this tool is that you can set regular scans of your computer to make sure that it has no viruses.
Solution 6. Perform a clean boot of your computer
This process will help you identify if any third-party app or process is interfering with your Steam client. A clean boot will start your computer with the minimum resources needed to function smoothly. This will disable all the apps and processes that are not needed.
Here is how to perform a clean boot:
- Click on the Home or Start menu and input “msconfig” (no quotes) into the search box, then hit Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Navigate to the General tab, and click Selective startup. There, uncheck the Load startup items box.
- Now, navigate to the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box. Once this is done, click Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager to open the Startup tab in Task Manager. There, you need to disable all the items on the list. These are the apps and processes that launch automatically when Windows starts.
- Now, return to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK to save the changes
- You will be prompted to restart your computer. Do so and check if the “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error has been resolved. If it has, then you need to return to the System Configuration window and start re-enabling the services one by one until you find the culprit. Now, you can disable or uninstall it permanently.
Solution 7. Delete the appcache folder
We have also received confirmation that deleting the Steam’s appcache folder can help solve the “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike” error.
To do so, use the following step:
- Exit the Steam client if it is open.
- Now, navigate to the following location: C:Program Files(x86)Steam
- There, right-click on the appcache folder and select Delete from the drop-down menu.
We hope that this article has shown you how to fix “An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike: Global Offensive”. Share it with others who need such information.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding this topic.