Fortnite is undoubtedly one of the biggest games today. Millions of players log in and out of the game each day. This means that if there is a problem with the game, it cannot go undetected. Many users have been complaining that the Fortnite chat is not working.
Each day, many more users are affected. Players are complaining that their teammates cannot hear them. If you are experiencing this problem, do not panic because we created this article to help you. We are going to show you how to fix Fortnite chat not working on Windows 10.
We have provided you with the list of solutions below. Make sure you go through all of them until you find the one that works for you.
Table of Contents
- Sign out, and sign back into Fortnite
- Update your sound card driver
- Install the latest Fortnite patch
- Check the audio settings of your PC and the game
- Perform a system restore.
- Reinstall Fortnite
Solution 1. Sign out, and sign back into Fortnite
This solution may sound simple, but it has a very high success rate fixing the chat issue. All you need to do is to log out of the game and log back in. Now, you can check if your issue has been resolved.
Solution 2. Update your sound card driver
Drivers are a very important component needed for your computer to function normally. Without them, most of the hardware installed on your computer will not work to their full potential. Drivers mediate the communication between your operating system and your hardware. The most common reason why your drivers stop working is that they have become outdated. Developers make newer versions of the drivers regularly, so, it is up to you keep your drivers updated. Sometimes, your drivers can also get missing or corrupted. This can be caused mostly by viruses. In this case, you will have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.
We will show you how to update all your drivers. You can do it manually or automatically, using the following steps:
Uninstall and reinstall your drivers
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager from the pop-up menu. This will open the Device Manager window.
- Now, click on the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it. There, you will see the audio device which is installed on your computer.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall device. You will see a message asking you to confirm your action, click Yes.
- Once you are done, restart your PC.
- When your computer restarts, it will automatically install the device with its default driver.
- Now, you will need to update the driver to the latest version for the device to function properly
Method 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
If you are looking of an easy, fast, and reliable way to download and install all the drivers on your computer, then this is the tool for you. Auslogics Driver Updater will download and install all the latest drivers for your system in just one click. This software program will check your computer for outdated, missing, and corrupted drivers, then install the latest manufacturer-recommend version. Using this method, you will not have any incompatibility issues. All you have to do is sit back and let the tool do its job.
Here is how to download, install, and use it:
- Once you have downloaded the tool from the link provided above, navigate to the download folder and run the setup file.
- This will open the Auslogics Driver Updater installer. Here, you will have to choose your preferred language, click the Express Install option, then select the Click to install and check drivers button to proceed.
- Now, the tool will be installed in your system. Once it is done, the Auslogics Driver Updater tool will automatically open and begin scanning your computer for missing, outdated, or corrupted drivers.
- Once it has finished scanning, you will see an option to update all the missing drivers. Click on it.
- There you go. Now, all your drivers will be installed.
Method 2. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s page
The manufacturer’s webpage is also a reliable source to get the latest version of your drivers. To download your sound driver, you will need to know processor type and operating system version. This is because downloading a wrong driver can cause more harm than good to your computer’s OS.
Method 3. Install your drivers from the Device Manager
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, double-click on Sound, video and game controllers to expand it. There, you will see the audio device which is installed on your computer.
- Right-click on the audio device and select Update driver.
- In the next window, select the option which prompts you to download and install the driver from the Internet.
- Windows will now download and install the best driver for your device.
Solution 3. Install the latest Fortnite patch
Patches are produced by developers to repair bugs in a game. If you are experiencing the chat issue of Fortnite, then you should check their website for available patches. Maybe the recent patch will have a fix for the issue.
Once you open the game using the Epic Games Launcher, follow the instructions below to check for the latest patch of the game:
- Click the gear icon at the top right corner of the window.
- Check the Allow Auto-Updates box, then click the down arrow next to Fortnite.
- Now, click the Auto-Update Fortnite box.
- Once this is done, restart the game.
- If there is an available patch, the Epic Games Launcher will automatically detect, download, and install it on your computer.
- If you got your Fortnite game from the Microsoft Store, then every time you launch the game, it will check for the latest patch.
- Now, start your game and check if the mic issue has been fixed.
Solution 4. Check the audio settings of your PC and the game
One of the first thing to check if your mic is not working is your audio settings. This is something that most people turn to ignore and go searching for more complex solutions. You need to check and make sure that your game or PC audio settings have not been altered, which could be the reason for the game chat not working. Here is how to do it:
- Turn of the voice chat temporarily
- Launch your game, then click on the menu button at the top right corner of the window.
- Click on the gear icon to open game settings.
- Now, click the speaker icon to open the audio settings.
- Turn off the Voice Chat and Push To Talk options.
- Click the Apply button to save the changes you made, then exit Fortnite.
- Check audio settings of your computer
- Right-click on the speaker icon on right side of your task and select Sounds from the pop-up menu.
- Navigate to the Playback tab, and select Speaker or Headphones depending on which one you are using, then click Set Default.
- Now, go to the Recording tab, select your mic, and click Set Default. On the Recording tab, test your mic by speaking into it. If you see the green in the bar to the right, then your mic is working properly.
- Click OK to save the changes you have made.
- Now, go back into Fortnite, and turn on Voice Chat and Push To Talk.
Solution 5. Perform a System Restore.
System Restore is a Windows tool that is capable of reverting your computer to an earlier state. It is very effective in fixing issues which you do not know the exact cause of. If your chat stopped working all of a sudden, then it may be due to some system settings which have changed without you knowing. This tool will help you revert your system to a time when the chat was working properly. System Restore does not affect your personal files and folders. It only makes changes to system files and settings. So, you do not have to worry about losing important data.
To be able to restore your computer to an earlier date, you need to have created restore points before. If you didn’t, do not worry because Windows creates restore points when important changes are about to take place on your computer. Here is how to restore your computer to an earlier state:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input “Recovery” (no quotes) in the search box. Select Recovery from the list of results.
- In the Recovery dialog box, select Open System Restore, then click Next to proceed.
- Now, you will see the list of restore points in your system. Select a point before you began experiencing the chat issues and click Next.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
If for some reason you don’t want to use that method, another way to use System Restore is from the Choose an option screen. This method is usually useful when your computer has difficulties booting into the desktop. Here is what your should do:
- Press Windows logo Key + I on the keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on Updates are Security from the available options.
- In the Recovery tab, click Restart now under the Advanced startup option.
- This will restart your PC into the Choose an option screen.
- Now, navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 6. Reinstall Fortnite
If everything we talked about above did not work, then the final option is to reinstall the game. This process varies depending on where you bought the game.
Epic Game Launcher:
- Open Epic Games Launcher, then select FORTNITE. Now, click on the gear icon next to the Launch button.
- In the drop-down menu, click Uninstall.
- Once this is done, restart your PC.
- Now, go back to Epic Game Launcher and reinstall Fortnite.
- Press Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Now, click on Apps from the list of options available.
- On the Apps and Features tab, select Fortnite, then click Uninstall.
- Windows will now remove the game from your system.
- Now, go to the Microsoft Store and download and install the game again.
We hope that this article has shown you how to make Fortnite chat working. Share it with others who need such information.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding the above topic.