Omegle is a popular online chatting website that helps people meet new friends. The site connects total strangers from different walks of life via video chats. According to the site, the chats are anonymous unless you decide to divulge personal details. To make the chats fun and interesting, you need a working webcam. That said, there have been complaints that the camera doesn’t work with the Omegle website. Instead, it gives the error message “Error with camera: Requested device not found”.
Since you need a working camera to connect to your new friends, the camera issue makes it difficult to video chat with your potential dating partner. According to most users, the camera works fine with other apps like Skype and Messenger but fails to work with Omegle, especially if using Google Chrome.
Why the Camera Is Not Working with Omegle
Before getting into details of how to fix the ‘Camera is not working with Omegle’ issue, it’s important to know the reasons behind it. The thing is, there could be various causes of the error. However, some of the most likely reasons include:
- Changes in Google Chrome’s policy – The recent changes made to the policy of Google Chrome only allow the use of webcams and microphones over https, which differs from Omegle’s HTTP.
- Using Omegle on an outdated browser – Like any other software, your web browser needs regular updates to work smoothly. An outdated browser can lead to a myriad of issues, such as the camera error when trying to connect on Omegle.
- Broken or corrupted browser cookies – Browser cookies are known to cause various PC issues, such as browser freezing or crashing. Clearing the cookies should get rid of the problem.
- The camera is being used by another app – If the camera is in use by another application while trying to connect to your friends on Omegle, then it could be responsible for the error.
- Adobe Flash Player is outdated – Unless you use Google Chrome, you need to update Adobe Flash Player. Avoid clicking on unofficial links claiming to have the latest update of Flash Player. Instead, get the latest updates directly from the official site.
Now that you have an idea of what could be the culprit, let’s take a look at what you can do when the camera is not working with Omegle. The solutions presented in this post have worked for other users. Therefore, we recommend that you try them out one by one until you resolve the issue.
Solution 1: Try Using a Different Browser
If you’re using Chrome, try using a different browser like Edge or Mozilla Firefox. Google recently changed its policy, and it now dictates that webcams and microphones can only be used over https. So, if your favorite site uses HTTP, then you might have a problem connecting via video chat.
Open Omegle on another browser and check if the camera works.
Solution 2: Find Other Programs That Are Using the Camera
If the camera is currently being used by another app, then your browser won’t get permission to use the camera until you close the other programs. Some of the apps that use the camera include Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp web, and Messenger, to name a few.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell which app is using your device’s camera. The easiest way to know for sure is to revoke permission for all the apps that you suspect to be using the camera. After that, check if you can now connect to your friends via video chat with Omegle. If you can, then it shows that one of your apps is causing the error. Armed with this information, you can go ahead and enable the apps one after the other until you find the culprit.
To disable the apps that can access your camera, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Key + I combo to open the “Settings” app.
- Select Privacy > Camera, and scroll down to the “Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera” option.
- Disable all the apps and check if your camera now works with Omegle. If it does, enable the apps one by one while checking if the camera still works with Omegle. Repeat the process until you find the app that’s preventing the camera from working when trying to connect via Omegle.
- Once you find the problematic app, disable it. You should now be able to use your camera with Omegle without issues.
However, if this solution doesn’t work for you, move on to the next solution below.
Solution 3: Update Your Web Browser
Regardless of what your favorite web browser is, you need to keep it updated at all times to avoid such errors. Each browser is updated differently, and below you’ll find the information on how to update the most common web browsers, including Chrome, Edge, and Mozilla Firefox.
How to Update Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is updated automatically with Windows Update. So, make sure that you install all pending Windows updates to keep Edge updated. After installing the latest version of your browser, visit Omegle and check whether the camera works.
How to Update Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome and click the menu button (three dots) in the top right corner of the window.
- Go to Help > About Google Chrome.
- If a new version is available, click on “Update Google Chrome”.
- Restart Chrome once the update is complete.
How to Update Mozilla Firefox
- Launch the Firefox web browser and click on the menu button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on “Help”, and select “About Firefox”.
- Select the “Restart to update Firefox” button and wait until the updates are installed. Firefox will restart once it’s updated.
Solution 4: Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies
If you still can’t resolve the ‘no Omegle video’ issue, try clearing your browser’s cookies and cache. Normally, when your browser cache gets corrupted, your browser fails to function properly. The process of cleaning your browser cookies differs depending on the type of browser that you’re using. Here we highlight how to clear cookies for Edge, Chrome, and Mozilla.
Clearing Cookies in Microsoft Edge
- Launch Edge and click on the menu button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings > Privacy & Security, and then click on the “Choose what to clear” button.
- Check the boxes to choose what you want to clear and then click the “Clear” button.
Clearing Cookies in Chrome
- Open Chrome’s menu (the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the Chrome window).
- Go to “Settings”, navigate to the bottom of the page and expand the “Advanced” section.
- Under “Privacy and Security”, select the “Clear browsing data” option.
- Choose how you want to proceed and then click on the “Clear data” button.
Clearing Cookies in Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and select the menu button.
- Select Options > Privacy & Security.
- Go to the “Cookies and Site Data” section and select “Clear Data…”.
- Select “Clear”.
Alternatively, you can use a third-party optimization tool like Auslogics BoostSpeed to clear your browser cookies regardless of what browser you’re using. The program scans your PC to identify all the PC junk stored on your HDD and removes it. You can schedule regular automatic maintenance to keep your PC clean at all times. Auslogics BoostSpeed also performs other important tasks, such as cleaning your registry and hard drives, adjusting your internet speed for faster browsing and downloading, and defragmenting your HDD, to name just a few.
Once the optimization process is complete, check if you’re still getting the ‘Error with the camera: Requested device not found’ error message. If you do, try the next fix below.
Solution 5: Update Your Webcam (Camera) Drivers
The camera may fail to function properly if the drivers are outdated, missing or corrupted. The fix is to install the latest drivers for your device. To do so, we recommend using a reliable and effective tool like Auslogics Driver Updater. The program is engineered to detect the system running on your PC, the types of drivers installed, and those that are outdated, missing or incompatible with your system.
Next, the tool recommends what you should do to resolve your driver issues. Usually, all you need to do is press the “Update all” button in the “Diagnostics” tab. Auslogics Driver Updater will download the latest driver versions directly from the manufacturers’ websites and automatically install them on your PC.
As you can see, the process is smooth and fast, and you don’t even need to know what drivers your PC uses. Once all the drivers have been updated, open your browser, search for Omegle and test whether the camera now functions.
These are some of the solutions that worked for users facing the ‘Camera not working with Omegle’ issue on a Windows 10 PC. Let us know how you resolved your issue by commenting below.