Adobe Genuine Copy Validation Client Application or adobeGCClient.exe is a process which checks the validity of any Adobe program which is running on your system. We have received reports from users that they have encountered the AdobeGCClient.exe system error during Windows startup or when launching Adobe programs.
Here is what the error message states: “The program can’t start because adobe_caps.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” You may also see the same error message which states the MSVCP140.dll is missing.
The AdobeGCClient.exe error is an indication that there is an issue with one or more of your DLL files. This can be caused by the Adobe software updates that need the DLL files. If the DLL files are missing or corrupted, you will experience the AdobeGCClient.exe error. In this article, we are going to show you how to troubleshoot the AdobeGCClient.exe system error on Windows. Make sure you go through all the solutions until you find the one that works for you.
Table of Contents
- Scan your system for malware
- Check your system files, using the System File Checker
- Change the title for Adobegcclient.exe
- Install Microsoft C++ Redistributable
- Make sure that your Adobe Software is updated
- Reinstall the Adobe Software
Solution 1. Scan your system for malware
The effects of viruses on your system can be varied. Malware often chooses DLL files to corrupt because they can go undetected for a long time. But sometimes, if an infected DLL file is responsible for a program you use often, then you will get error messages. In this case, there is a high probability that a virus has infected the DLL files which are responsible for your Adobe software. To fix this problem, you need to scan your system for malware.
We recommend that you download and install Auslogics Anti-Malware. It will scan your system and eliminate all viruses which are masking themselves as system files. This anti-malware tool will protect you against malware and let you surf the internet without the fear of being infected. Note that most viruses get into your system from the websites you visit. Also, you can schedule regular scans, using this tool. It will eliminate all the viruses which are lurking around. The virus definition of the tool is updated on a regular basis to make sure that it can protect your system from newly created viruses.
Solution 2. Check your system files, using System File Checker
The System File Checker is a powerful Windows tool which is used to fix problems with your system files. It will be able to repair or restore missing or corrupted DLL files. So, you should be able to use the System File Checker in cases like this. Here is how to use the System File Checker:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Command Prompt (Admin). This will run the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, input DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
- When the process is finished, input sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- You will have to wait for some time for the process to complete. Once it is done, you will see a message which states, “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.”
- Now, restart your PC and check if the error has been resolved.
Solution 3. Change the title for Adobegcclient.exe
We have received many reports that changing the name of theAdobecclient.exe file can fix this error. Here is how to rename the file:
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
- Input C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AdobeGCClient in the search area and press Enter.
- This will take you to the Adobe installation folder. Right-click on the Adobegcclient file and select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Now, rename the file as AdobeGCClient.old.
Solution 4. Install Microsoft C++ Redistributable
If you are trying to open any Adobe software and you run into the MSVCP140.dll is missing error, then you need to check your Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015 package. To fix this problem, you need to install the Microsoft C++ Redistributables, and here is how to do it:
- Navigate to Google and search for Microsoft C++ Redistributable Click on the first link, and you will be taken to its official page, where you can download the Microsoft C++ Redistributable setup file.
- Select vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) if you are using 64-bit Windows or vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) for 32-bit Windows.
- Once the download is completed, launch the file and complete the installation following the instructions of the wizard.
- If you notice that the Microsoft C++ Redistributable is already installed, then you will need to repair it. This can be done via the Control Panel. Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box. Input appwiz.cp in the search area and press Enter. This will open the Program and Features window in Control Panel. There, you will see a list of programs which are installed on your system. Select Microsoft C++ Redistributable and click the Change button. This will open the setup window for C++ Redistributable. Now, select the Repair button and follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 5. Make sure that your Adobe Software is updated
Updates of any program improve its performance and also fix minor issues. This is also true for Adobe programs. If you are witnessing issues with the Adobe software, we recommend that your check for its updates and install them. For example, if the error occurs when you are using Adobe Acrobat, you should make sure that you are using the latest version.
Solution 6. Perform a System Restore
System Restore is used to send your system files and settings to an earlier date. It is of great importance when you are trying to fix problems whose cause is unknown. If your Adobe program stopped working abruptly, you could use this tool to send your system back to a time when the program was functioning. It works like a time machine. It affects only system files and settings. Your personal files and folders will remain untouched by the process. To perform a system restore, you need to have created restore points before.
Nevertheless, your system automatically creates restore points when important changes want to occur in your system. So, there is a chance you will have a point to restore your system to. Here is how to perform a system restore.
- Click on the Start or Home button and type Recovery in the search box. Select Recovery from the list of results. This will open the Recovery dialog box in Control Panel
- Click Open System Restore. This will open the System Restore panel, then click Next to proceed.
- In the next window, there are timestamps you can restore your system to. From the list, choose a point before you started experiencing the error message, and click Next.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Solution 7. Reinstall Adobe Software
If the fixes above have not worked for you, you need to reinstall the Adobe software as a last resort. To do this:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Control Panel in the search box. Select Control Panel from the list of results.
- Click Uninstall a program. Now, you will see the list of programs which are installed on your PC.
- Select the Adobe program you wish to remove and click Uninstall. This will remove the program from your system.
- Now, go to Program Files and delete the folders or files which were not deleted along with the uninstallation.
- Restart your PC and install the Adobe program again.
Pro tip: if your applications are taking a longer time to start up or load, then you should start suspecting your hard drive. To fix this issue, you will need to defragment your disk. We have just the tool to help you with this process. Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro will give you access to many files on your hard drive which were inaccessible. It will also ensure optimum performance of your disk drive and give you faster program startup times.
We hope that this article has solved the Adobe issues on your PC. Share it with others experiencing similar issues.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding the above topic.