As a Windows user, you should know the importance of your drivers. Basically, drivers are software that keeps your computer running smoothly. They play a vital role in managing communication between your hardware and the operating system. Without them, the hardware will not be able to send signals to the operating system, which could lead to all sorts of issues like crashes or Blue Screens of Death.
Every device connected to your computer has a driver to go with it; even printers, which are not system devices, need drivers. Sometimes, when you connect a device to your computer, it automatically installs the best driver for that device. But do not expect your computer to do the same for all the devices you connect to it. Most often, you need to look for the best driver yourself.
In this article, we will show how to download the M.2 driver on a Windows computer. But before that, let us give you some general information about the M.2 drivers.
What is M.2 SSD?
M.2 is what was previously known as the Next Generation Form Factor, and it’s the standard for associated connectors and PC cards that are mounted internally. M.2 SSDs use the SATA 3.0 connector, PCI Express 3.0 connector, and USB 3.0 connector. To ensure that the M.2 drive works without any problems, you have to install M.2 drivers for it.
We are going to show you the best ways to update and install not only your M.2 driver but all the other drivers that are missing, outdated, or corrupted.
Table of Contents
- Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
- Update your drivers using Windows Update
- Download your drivers from the manufacturer’s site
- Update your drivers using Device Manager
Solution 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
Most users do not have time to search for and download all the individual drivers that are outdated or missing in their computers. That takes up a lot of time. Sometimes you will not even know the specific driver which is causing a problem to your operating system. That is why we present you with one of the best options to download and install all your drivers in just a single click. This tool will download and install drivers you might not even know existed. It is very effective and fast.
Furthermore, most other methods require that you have much knowledge of the device. For an average user, finding information about a device can be challenging, but this tool will do everything for you. It will scan your computer for drivers that are missing, outdated, or corrupted and install their latest manufacturer-recommended versions. Here is how to download and install Auslogics Driver Updater:
- Follow the link provided above to download the setup file.
- Once this is done, go to the download folder and run the file. This will open the Auslogics Driver Updater installer.
- Select your preferred language and click the Click to install and check drivers button.
- This will now install the software on your system. Once this is done, Auslogics Driver Updater will open automatically and start scanning your system for missing or out-of-date drivers.
- When the scan is complete, you will see a list of drivers that need to be installed.
- Now, click Install all, and the drivers will be installed and updated.
Solution 2. Update your drivers using Windows Update
To save users from going through all the pain of looking for drivers and installing them manually, Microsoft tries to include these drivers in their updates to ease the job for the users. Windows updates usually include new features, bug fixes, and of course, updated drivers. In this way, you won’t have to worry about getting the latest drivers. In Windows 10, updates are automatic, but for some reason, your updates may be held back. One of the most common reasons for updates being delayed is due to your region or location. Here is how to update your Windows:
- Press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click Update and Security from the list of options available.
- In the next window, navigate to the Windows Update tab and click Check for updates.
- Windows will now search for the most recent updates for your M.2 and other drivers and install them.
Solution 3. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s site
You can get any of your drivers from the manufacturer’s site provided you have the correct information. This is one of the best places to get the latest versions of your drivers. The M.2 drivers will vary, depending on their manufacturers. So, you will have to know the manufacturer of the drive before you can do anything. For you to know more information about your SSD, you will need to go to the Device Manager. Here is how do know the name, version, and manufacturer of the drive:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager.
- Click on the arrow beside Disk drives to expand it. Here, you will see the M.2 drive that is installed on your computer. Usually, if its drivers are missing, corrupted, or outdated, you will see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark beside it.
- Right-click on the drive and select Properties.
- Under the General tab, you will get information about the manufacturer.
Once you have this information, navigate to the manufacturer’s site. The driver is most likely located in the support section. If the driver is in the .exe format, you just need to install it. But if you find the driver in the compressed format, you will need to extract files to a location on your computer. Now, you will have to go to Device Manager, right-click on your M.2 drive and select Update driver. In the next window, select the second option, which prompts you to browse your PC for the driver. Now, you have to navigate to the location where you saved the driver and run it. This will install the driver on your system.
Solution 4. Update the driver using Device Manager
The Device Manager is a system tool that manages all of your system devices. You can also update all of your drivers from there. Now, we are going to show you how to update your drivers using Device Manager:
- Follow the steps that we have shown you above to open the Device Manager.
- Expand Disk drives and right-click on the SSD that is installed on your computer.
- In the next window, select the first option, which prompts you to download and install the drivers from the internet.
- Now, Windows will download and install the best driver for your M.2 drive.
- Once this is done, restart your computer.
We hope that this article has shown you where to find M.2 drivers for a Windows 10 PC. Share it with others who have the same issues.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding this topic.