The Blue Screen of Death has been a problem for many Windows users for a very long time. This issue has been around for as long as we can remember. Many users become terrified with this error and get into panic mode when they encounter the BSOD. Honestly, it looks scary because your screen suddenly turns blue with a bunch of writing on it which you do not understand. Anyone encountering the error for the first time will panic too. When you get to understand the error, it will no longer be that scary.
There are various reasons for the Blue Screen of Death, one of which will be our focus in this article
Generally, the BSOD occurs when your computer encounters an error it cannot repair. So, it has to restart automatically to prevent further damage to your system. This can be sometimes detrimental to the users because they can lose unsaved data.
When your computer experiences a Blue Screen of Death, it will automatically create a “minidump” file. This file contains all the information about the crash. This is very useful when you have not been able to read the information on the BSOD in time. Usually, the user is in a panic to read anything. The information on this screen can be used to identify the cause of the BSOD and, if you want, send a copy to Microsoft. It will be used to make updates which can fix the problem for other users. The Blue Screen of Death is a common error on all Windows operating systems, and the layout of the screen looks different in each. Some screens provide more information than others.
If you want to stop the Blue Screen of Death from restarting your computer automatically when the error occurs so that you can read the information on it, you need to use the following steps:
- Click on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar.
- Now, right-click on This PC and select Properties.
- Click on Advanced system settings. This will open the System Properties window.
- Click Settings under the Start and Recovery option. Now, uncheck the Automatically restart box.
- If you encounter the Blue Screen of Death again, your system won’t restart automatically.
Also, if you want to view the minidump file, you need to open the Event Viewer.
Here is how to do it:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Event Viewer. Now, select Event Viewer from the list of results in the Viewer dialog box.
- Expand the Windows logs folder and select System.
- Search for Error in the right panel and select it. At the bottom, you will see the error report.
Also, in the System Properties window, go to Settings under the Start and Recovery option; you will see the Dump file box at the bottom. Copy the text there, paste it into the address bar in Windows Explorer and press Enter. This will take you to the minidump file created by the Blue Screen of Death crash.
In this article, we are going to be talking about how to fix Attempted Write to CM Protected Storage Blue Screen of Death. Before we start, let’s discuss the error and why you encounter it.
What is the
Attempted Write to CM Protected Storage Blue screen of Death is also called STOP 0x0000011C. Users mostly encounter this error when Windows is about to start. This often causes your system to crash. Also, you can encounter this error when you install a new program or app. Malware is huge contribution to this error occurring. The most common cause of the Attempted Write to CM Protected Storage Blue screen of Death is due to outdated, missing or corrupted device drivers.
Table of Contents
- Check for newly installed hardware or software
- Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death
- Restore your PC to a previous date
- Make sure there is enough free space on the drive where Windows is installed on
- Check your computer for viruses
- Check your memory
- Check for Windows updates
- Update your device drivers
- Reset your BIOS settings
- Perform a clean boot of your system
Solution 1. Check for newly installed hardware or software
Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error can be caused by incompatible hardware or software which has been installed on your computer. If you began encountering this error after you installed new hardware or software, then you will need to uninstall it and check if the error has been solved.
Furthermore, you need to make sure that all the cables connecting your hardware are working and correctly placed. If you are using a desktop computer, make sure that all of its cards, RAM, or drives are well connected.
Solution 2. Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can fix some errors that occur within your system. This is important because you will not have to consult a professional every time minor errors occur. It also applies to all Blue Screens of Death. You will be able to troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death, using the following steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard. This will open the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security from the list of options available.
- Select the Troubleshoot tab, and click Blue Screen. Now, select Run the troubleshooter.
- Windows will look for the reason why you are experiencing the error and try to fix it.
Solution 3. Restore your computer to a previous date.
The System Restore tool is one of the most beneficial features included in the Windows operating system. You can use this tool to solve issues with unknown causes. It works by reverting your system settings and files to the way they were at a particular time in the past. It is similar to a time machine. Many users are skeptical about using this tool because they think it will affect their personal files and folders. But fortunately, it won’t. To use the system restore feature, you are supposed to have created restore points in the past. If you did not create any, do not worry because chances are Windows has created some for you. Windows automatically creates restore points when important changes want to occur in your system. Here is how to use System Restore:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Recovery in the search box. Select Recovery from the list of results.
- In the Recovery dialog box, select Open System Restore, then click Next to proceed.
- Now, you will see the list of the points you can restore your system to. Select a point before you began experiencing the Blue Screen of Death error and click Next.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Sometimes, when the Blue Screen of Death occurs, your system cannot boot into Windows properly. Your system will restart every time it is about to boot into the desktop. If you are unable to boot into Windows, there is another way to carry out the system restore. You can do it through the Choose an option screen. The Startup repair screen will appear after your computer has failed to boot 2 or 3 times. Once the Startup repair screen appears, go to the Choose an option screen.
Now, navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. When the system restore window opens, follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
Alternatively, you can use the last good configuration that worked. This option helps you to boot up Windows with the previous settings that had no issues. Sometimes, errors can change your system settings and cause the computer to be unable to boot properly into Windows. So, to use this option, you still need to go to the Choose an option screen, then navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup options. Now, your system will restart, and you will see several startup options; choose Last known good configuration. Your system will try to boot up normally.
Solution 4. Make sure there is enough free space on the drive where Windows is installed
You can witness the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error when your system is trying to download and install new updates and there is no space on your hard disk forthem. Always make sure that at least 10% of your drive is free at all times to prevent this type of errors from happening.
Solution 5. Check your computer for viruses
Viruses can be the cause of almost all the errors that occur in your system. They also have a big part to play in the development of the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error. They can infect the Windows registry, system files, and drivers, which will eventually lead to the error. To stop this from happening, you need to make sure that your system is protected at all times. You can do this by downloading and installing Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool is very effective in cleaning your computer of viruses. It scans your system on a regular basis to make sure that no viruses are lurking around. You will not have to worry about malware or hackers when browsing the internet. The virus definition of this tool is always kept up to date.
Solution 6. Check your Memory
Memory problems can also cause the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error. You need to make sure that your Memory is not bad or corrupt by using the Memory Diagnostic Tool. Here is how:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Memory. Select Windows Memory Diagnostics from the list of results. This will open the Windows Memory Diagnostic dialog box.
- Click Restart now and check for problems. This will cause Windows to restart and start checking for issues in your Memory. Once it is done, it will try to fix them.
- Note that if it finds any errors in your Memory, you should consider changing your RAM.
Solution 7. Check for Windows updates
Microsoft always has a valid reason for releasing Windows updates. These updates often include new features and, more importantly, fixes to common problems that have been reported by users. Normally, Windows gets updates automatically, but sometimes these updates can be held back for various reasons. So, it is important to check for updates manually. Here is how to do that:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Settings. This will open the Settings app.
- Click on Updates and Security from the list of options available.
- In the next window, navigate to the Windows update tab and click Check for updates.
- Windows will now search and install the latest updates for your system. Hopefully, it solves the issue.
Solution 8. Update your device drivers
Drivers are vital for the normal functioning of your operating system. They mediate the communication between the devices and the operating system. So, if the drivers are not working well, you will often encounter errors. Outdated or missing drivers are one of the most common reasons why users encounter the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error. Updating your drivers is not a difficult process, and every computer owner should be able to do it. Here, we are going to show you the most popular ways of updating your drivers:
Method 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater.
Using this tool is one of the easiest and fastest ways to update drivers. You will be able to update all your drivers in just one click. It will scan your system, making sure that all the drivers are updated to the manufacturer-recommended versions. You do not need to worry about downloading the wrong driver. Thus, this tool saves you lots of time.
Method 2. Download your drivers from the manufacturer’s site
This method is good for experienced users who know the name and version of the device whose driver they want to update. Downloading and installing the wrong version of the driver can cause further harm to your PC. This method is disadvantageous when you want to download and install multiple divers in your system. It is time-consuming, and you are prone to make mistakes. Manufacturers noticed this drawback and decided to create clients to solve this problem. The clients can detect and notify the user when a driver needs to be updated and where to get the necessary version.
Method 3. Use Device Manager to update your drivers
The Device Manager is a built-in tool used to manage all the devices installed on your computer. Using this tool, you will be able to check the status of and update all the device drivers. When a driver is outdated, missing, or corrupted, you will notice a small yellow triangle with an exclamation mark beside its device in Device manager. This can help you to easily identify which drivers are causing the problem and need to be updated. Here is how to update your drivers:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager.
- Navigate to the device whose driver you want to update and right-click on it. Select Update driver from the pop-up menu.
- In the next window, select the option to download and install the driver from the internet.
- Windows will now download the latest driver for your device.
Solution 9. Reset your BIOS settings
Many users, especially gamers, like to overclock their computers to get better performance. While this might produce the desirable result, overclocking can be the reason for the Blue Screen of Death error. To turn off overclocking, you need to reset your BIOS settings. This process is not the same for all motherboards. So, you need to read your motherboard manual to know how to access the BIOS settings and how to reset or update it.
Solution 10. Perform a clean boot of your system
Performing a clean boot permits your PC to boot with the minimum set of required services, apps, and drivers. This is helpful to remove all unnecessary processes which can be causing the Blue Screen of Death error. Here is how to perform a clean boot:
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Input msconfig in the search area and click OK. This will open the System Configuration window.
- Navigate to the General tab, and click Selective startup.
- Uncheck the Load startup items box.
- Go to the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, then click Disable all.
- Now, navigate to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager. This will open the Startup tab in Task Manager. Disable all the items on the list.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK.
- Restart your computer and check if the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error has been resolved.
- If it has been fixed, you need to go back to System Configuration and enable the services one by one to know the culprit. Once you found it, you can disable it permanently.
We hope that this article has shown you how to fix the Blue Screen of Death STOP 0x0000011C error. Share it with others who need such information.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding this topic.