What is popfilter.exe?
This file is a part of the Microsoft Windows system. EXE is short for executable and these types of files are used on Windows computers to install or run software.
Some programs may need popfilter.exe to run properly, so if this file is missing you may encounter issues when trying to launch applications or games. Often, you will get an error message that says “popfilter.exe missing” that tells you which specific file needs to be restored so that the application or game can continue functioning.
To resolve these issues caused by a missing popfilter.exe, read the suggestions below.
How to fix popfilter.exe missing error?
If the popfilter.exe missing error appears on your PC, you can use the methods below. Some are automatic, which means you can start a process to let the system automatically restore the file. Others are manual, meaning you will have to manually download popfilter.exe and move it to the correct program installation folder. If you are not very experienced with digging through system files and would prefer not to, you can simply go straight to an automatic method.
Here our list of solutions to try:
- Method 1: Download popfilter.exe
- Method 2: Fix the missing popfilter.exe error automatically
- Method 3: Update drivers to restore missing .exe files
- Method 4: Scan your PC for malware
- Method 5: Use System File Checker (SFC)
- Method 6: Fix corrupted popfilter.exe file by performing System Restore
Method 1: Download popfilter.exe
This is the most straightforward approach, but it is fully manual and will require you to download the right exe file and place it in the correct folder on your PC.
Look through the list of available versions of popfilter.exe then select the correct file and click “Download”. If you are unsure which one to download, read the section below or choose an automatic method.
How to choose the correct version of popfilter.exe?
When looking through the list of EXE files, pay attention to whether it’s a 64-, or 32-bit file, as well as the language it uses. For 64-bit programs, use 64-bit files if they are listed above.
It’s best to choose those EXE files whose language corresponds to the language of your program, if possible. It’s also recommended to choose the latest version to ensure up-to-date functionality.
As long as you get these two parameters right, you won’t have any issues downloading the right file.
Where to place the popfilter.exe file?
After you’ve downloaded the correct EXE file, place it inside the program installation folder. Alternatively, you can put the popfilter.exe file within the Windows system directory.
How to register popfilter.exe?
If placing the missing popfilter.exe file into the proper directory doesn’t seem to solve the problem, this means you need to register it. To do so, copy your EXE file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder, then open a command prompt with administrator privileges. There, type “regsvr32 popfilter.exe” and press Enter.
Method 2: Fix the missing popfilter.exe error automatically
Outbyte PC Repair allows you to automatically repair EXE errors, without you having to worry about choosing the right file or registering it. The utility will not only download the correct version of popfilter.exe for free and suggest the right directory to install it to but will also resolve other issues related to the popfilter.exe file.
- Download popfilter.exe
- Fix the missing popfilter.exe error automatically
- Update drivers to restore missing .exe files
Method 3: Update drivers to restore missing .exe files
Option 1 — Automatic Device Drivers Update
- Download the Outbyte Driver Updater
- Install the application
- Launch the app
- Driver Updater will scan your system for outdated and missing drivers
- Click Update to automatically update all drivers
Option 2 — Manually Update Device Drivers
- Select a category to look at the devices' names - right-click the one that needs to be updated
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software
- Select Update Driver
Method 4: Scan your PC for malware to fix the popfilter.exe error
Since EXE files communicate directly with your system to give instructions, they are very common targets for malware, which can intentionally corrupt these files in order to substitute them with its own malicious files. If you suspect that this is what’s causing errors on your system, you should scan your computer for malware and eliminate it as soon as possible.
Option 1 - Windows Defender
- Select the Update and Security option and go to the Windows Defender section.
Option 2 - Outbyte AVarmor
Method 5: Fix the popfilter.exe missing error with System File Checker (SFC)
To execute this command, you have to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type sfc / scannow while in Command Prompt and hit Enter. After entering the command, a system check will begin. It will take a while, so please be patient. Once the process is complete you will see this message: “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.” or “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”.
In Windows 10, you can press Win key, select Settings > Update & security > Recovery and under Advanced Startup, click Restart now. You can also boot from the installation disk or bootable USB flash drive with the Windows 10 distribution. On the installation screen select your preferred language and then select “System Restore”. After that, go to “Troubleshooting” > “Advanced Settings” > “Command Prompt”. Once in Command Prompt type the following command: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows, where C is the partition with the installed operating system and C:\Windows, is the path to the Windows 10 folder.
This operation will take a while and it is important to wait until it is complete. When finished, close the command prompt and restart the computer as usual. You should find that the popfilter.exe missing error is gone.
Method 6: Fix the corrupted popfilter.exe file by performing a System Restore
System Restore is very useful if you want to fix popfilter.exe error, or almost any other error. Using the "System Restore" function, you can choose to restore Windows to a date when the popfilter.exe file was not damaged. Restoring Windows to an earlier date cancels changes that were made to system files since that date. Please follow the steps below to roll back Windows using System Restore and get rid of the popfilter.exe error.
- Press the Win + R keys combination to launch the Run dialog.
- Type sfc /scannow while in Command Prompt and hit Enter.
- Click the "Next" button and then click "Finish" to confirm your restore point. At this point, your computer will reboot normally and boot up with a restored version of Windows, and the popfilter.exe error should be resolved.