“You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life.
But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’
See the positive in negative events.”
– Joel Osteen
Many users have asked, “What if mic doesn’t work in Fortnite on Windows 10?” That is why we have created this article to help with this problem.
With the recent updates and additions to Fortnite, it has become one of the most played games in our generation. Players are now able to play in groups and have more fun. That is what has added more flavor to the game. Being unable to communicate with your group members can be very annoying and frustrating.
To start, we’re just going to go over the basics
First of all, the volume of your mic could be turned all the way off. So, you should go to the taskbar and right-click on the volume icon, then select Open sound settings. This will open the sound settings window. There, you can see which mic is currently active and if it is working properly. If it is not working, you can try fixing it by clicking the Troubleshoot button.
Also, if you are using an external mic, you need to make sure it is working. Sometimes, it may not be connected properly, or the cable is damaged. If you have another mic around, you can try using it. If it works, then your original mic has a problem and needs to be replaced. It is mostly minor things like this that skip the mind of most users.
If you are using your system’s internal mic, you can try troubleshooting it. The troubleshooting tool will find and fix any hardware issues. Here is how to run it:
- Click on the Start or Home button and select the gear icon from the menu. This will open the Settings app.
- Click Update and Security from the list of options.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot tab and select Hardware and Devices under the Find and fix other problems option, then click Run troubleshooter.
- Windows will now search for issues with your devices and fix them.
Another option to fix this problem is to look in the game settings. Open Fortnite and click on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner. Click on the gear icon to open the Settings app. Now, at the top of the screen, select the speaker icon to open the Audio settings. Disable the voice chat and close the game. Once this is done, go to the taskbar, right-click on the volume icon and select Sounds. Navigate to the Recording tab, right-click on the microphone you are using, and select Set as Default Device. Make sure you disable another mic which you are not using. Now, Run Fortnite again and enable your voice chat settings.
If the above methods did not help you, then try the solutions below:
- Update your microphone driver
- Reinstall the microphone driver
- Make sure your system settings permit Fortnite to access the mic
- Restore your PC to an earlier date
- Make sure your operating system is the latest version
Solution 1. Update your microphone driver
You need first to understand that if your drivers are missing or outdated, your system devices will not function properly, and your microphone is not an exception. The driver creates a connection between the device and the operating system so that they can communicate with each other. In this case, since your microphone is not working, you need to check its driver and make sure it is working well. There are various ways to update your drivers, and we will show them to you here:
Method 1. Download and install Auslogics Driver Updater
This tool makes life easy when trying to update your drivers. Note that with just one click, you will be able to update all the drivers in your system. It will scan your computer for all outdated drivers and install the latest manufacturer-recommended versions. It is very fast and will save you a lot of time. Using this tool, you will not have to worry about downloading and installing the wrong driver. Also, you do not need to know the details of the device whose driver you want to update – that is sorted out by the tool. While using this tool, you will get all your driver problems solved.
Method 2. Update your microphone driver, using Device Manager
Device Manager is an important system tool when dealing with devices and their drivers. With this tool, you can check the status of all the devices which are connected to your PC. You will also be able to update your microphone driver from here. Use the following steps to update the driver:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Device Manager. This will open the Device Manager dialog box
- Now, click on the right arrow beside Audio inputs and outputs to expand it. You will see the microphone device which is installed on your PC.
- Right-click on it and select Update driver.
- In the next window, choose the first option which prompts you to download and install the driver from the internet.
- Windows will not look for the latest driver for your device and install it.
Method 3. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s site
For this method, you need to know the manufacturer, name, and version of the device. Without this information, you may download the wrong driver, which is more detrimental to your system. Usually, the drivers are located in the support section of the site, which is well organized for you to find the driver you are looking for. Most famous manufacturing companies have created clients which help the users to find and download the correct drivers for their devices. This solves the issue of downloading the wrong driver.
Solution 2. Reinstall the microphone driver
If updating the driver does not help the problem, you will have to reinstall the driver. This means uninstalling the driver and installing it again. Usually, this solution is useful when the driver is corrupted and updating it is impossible, or the Device Manager is incapable of finding the latest driver for your device. Here is how to reinstall your microphone driver:
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run window search area, input devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will open the Device Manager window.
- Navigate to Audio inputs and outputs and double-click on it to expand.
- Now, right-click on Microphone and select Uninstall device.
- Restart your computer.
- Once your PC restarts, the microphone will be installed again. Try updating its driver before using it.
Solution 3. Make sure your system settings permit Fortnite to access the mic
Note that with Windows 10, you can set the apps which you want to work with your microphone. It the option is disabled for Fortnite, your mic will not work. So, you need to make sure that this option is enabled when playing your game. To check your mic settings, use the following steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on Privacy from the list of options available.
- Navigate to the Microphone tab on the left pane; under the Choose which apps can access your mic option, look for Fortnite and enable it.
- Now, check your game if the mic works.
Solution 4. Restore your PC to an earlier date
If your microphone stopped working suddenly, and it is difficult to determine the cause of the problem, you should try restoring your system to an earlier date when your mic was working. It is not magic, but a feature present in Windows. It works like a time machine which takes your system to the past. Note that this process will affect only your system settings and files. Your personal documents will remain untouched. So, do not be scared that you will lose data. To perform a system restore, you need existing restore points. That should not discourage you if you did not create restore points in the past. Windows automatically creates them when important changes want to occur in your system. Here is how to restore your PC:
- Click on the Start or Home button and input Recovery in the search box. Select Recovery from the list of results.
- This will open the Recovery dialog box in Control Panel.
- Now, click Open System Restore and click Next in the subsequent window to proceed.
- You will now see a list of restore points. Select the one which is before you started experiencing the mic issue with Fortnite.
- Click Next, and follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
An alternative way to perfume a system restore is through the Choose an option screen. Here is how to use it:
- Right-click on the Start or Home button and select Settings from the pop-up menu. This will open the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security from the list of options available.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab and click Restart now under the Advanced startup option. This will cause your system to restart into the Choose an option screen.
- Now, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to complete the process.
- When the process is done, check your game if the mic is working.
Solution 5. Make sure your operating system is the latest version
It is important that your operating system be the latest version. This is because some settings may not work well with older version. Also, updates contain fixes to bugs which users have reported. So, if you are lucky, an update may contain a fix to your mic problem. Normally, Windows 10 updates automatically, but sometimes updates may be held back for various reasons. So, to check for updates for your system and initiate the download, use the following steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + I on the keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Click on Update and Security from the list of options.
- Now, in the Windows update tab, click Check for updates.
- Windows will now look for the latest updates for your system and install them.
- Now, check if your mic issue has been solved.
We hope that this article has solved the Fortnite mic issue. Share it with others who are experiencing the same issue.
We appreciate your ideas and comments, and we are ready to answer all your questions regarding the above topic.