When using Cortana, many users rapidly acknowledge that the searches Cortana is making also include the matching files on their PC as well as the Bing web search results. Previously, it was possible to disable Cortana’s Bing web search with the settings of Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.
However, with the April 2018 Update, the ‘Do not allow web search’ Group Policy setting was abolished. If you are searching for new ways how to disable Cortana‘s Bing web search on Windows 10, you have come to the right place. Read the article below to find out the specifics.
To block Cortana’s Bing searches, you’ll need to edit the Registry. Remember that your computer’s Registry is a very fragile ecosystem, so if you do not possess the skills to edit it or feel uncomfortable with proceeding with the instructions below, we suggest getting help from a professional. Also remember that if you are tweaking anything in your Registry, you must be sure that there are no malicious software programs installed on your computer. To make sure your device is malware-free, use this tool – Auslogics Anti-Malware.
Editing the Registry to block Cortana’s web search in Windows 10
- Step 1. Use the shortcut with the Win key and X key pressed together. Open Run.
- Step 2. Enter ‘regedit’ and hit Enter.
- Step 3. In the Registry Editor, follow this pathway:
- Step 4. Right-click an empty space on the right side of the window.
- Step 5. Select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Step 6. Enter “BingSearchEnabled” for the DWORD name.
- Step 7. Select DWORD (32-bit) Value in the context menu again and set up a new AllowSearchToUseLocation DWORD delete.
- Step 8. Create another DWORD (32-bit) Value and set up CortanaConsent DWORD if it is not here.
- Step 9. At this point, you should have at least two new DWORD values in the Search key.
- Step 10. Double-click the BingSearchEnabled DWORD and set the value to 0. Do the same to the AllowSearchToUseLocation DWORD. This will turn off the Cortana web search.
As you can see, the editing of the Registry doesn’t require any supernatural skills, but you have to be attentive and shouldn’t mess up the Registry in any way. Make sure you follow our instructions, and you won’t have to deal with Cortana’s web searches again.